Screwy Nick

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


About Screwy Nick

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Interests
    TRAINS, all
  • Location:
    West Berlin, NJ

Recent Profile Visitors

492 profile views
  1. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    I just had my first run. I had a fire extinguisher and hose at the ready, I was apprehensive since I am not familiar with meth or this type of burner. .I couldn't see the flame in the cup, and didn't put enough in the first time. Second time it came to life. while it was running I blew the whistle, which locked up the engine, I did the fwd/rev thing till it cleared, I guess it was water locked. I didn't blow the whistle again. After a 20 min run I shut it down. Like I do with my locomotives I attempted to suck the water from the bottom of the oil tank, and only oil came out. There was grunge in the tank that the cylinder exhaust is going to, so It did use some. I shut down the burner and let it slowly run out of steam, only then could I really appreciate the beauty of that engine. I wish it were Butane fired, much quiter. LG
  2. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    I can take no credit for it, the manufacturer provided the space for R/C equipment. LG
  3. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    Sean, Under the furthest aft hatch is the assembly I just finished this morning, not adhered yet. I have to cut out rectangles to house the servos, receiver and battery. The linkage for the throttle and direction will go forward and the rudder linkage will go aft. LG
  4. 1:32 Viaduct pattern for concrete

    Bob, I finally found it, I guess I did't look hard enough. I'll now follow this one along with the T1. Thank You
  5. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    Sean, thank you. There is a tank that goes between the engine exhaust, for deposit of condensed steam and oil, then to the stack. Trying to shoe horn all that into the deck opening, along with the tubes that go with he pressure relief valves on both the boiler and burner are adding to the adventure. Added to that is the personal preference to drain the boiler after each use, which means lifting the running gear bed, fully assembled, regularly in and out of the Tug. Pics not ready for that, still under development. LG
  6. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    Joe, I wish you good luck with the lottery. Larry Sr, thank you, I will keep it up. Attached is the latest with the running gear in the hull. It is not secured yet as I want to break it in before permanent installation. I also took liberties as to where to place the braces so I have access to the bed mounting screws so I can lift the whole thing out if necessary. Placement of the running gear is dependent on the position of the exhaust stack which is supposed to line up with the rear stack. ENJOY
  7. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    Joe, I have read where the Titanic had 13 boilers, all coal manually fed. I can't imagine the power it put out. My last ship was a 'Research Vessel'. the last Liberty ship still in use which had a 3 cylinder engine. I always felt bad for the Snipes that had to operate that beast. I still remember wicks handing from the over head that they had to apply oil so when the part rose it would touch and become lubricated. Steam was generated by oil. I remember once we were making turns for 13 knots, but due to the head wind we were barely keeping on course. Good memories. And if I may ask, "when are you going to start the ride on Rail Road?
  8. PRR T1 kitbash from 2 Hudsons

    For joining large parts I also use gauze in the inside along with the adhesive, extremely strong. LG
  9. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    Jerry, thank you very much. Still messing with that brass fitting.
  10. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    Joe, Sean, thank you for the encouragement. The pressure gauge and associated fittings from Saito mfg is not available. Bought a smaller brass fitting at hardware, found I have a M7x0.75 tap so will make my own adaptor and use one made by Accucraft. Got my fingers crossed. LG
  11. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    I should have included the Transmission. it converts one engine output to two counter revolving shafts for the props. LG
  12. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    Joe, That was a big selling point for me, years ago I was bitten by the LS bug really hard. The burner and boiler are very different than any I have seen, so will have to learn how operate it properly. I hope to start assembling the running gear later today. attached is a pic of the burner, boiler and engine just laid together
  13. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    It sure is, I have it on the dinning room table so I can drool over it while I am eating. I made a lot of progress this morning. I laid out and installed the scuppers. The numbers for the Bulwark stays in the diagram didn't exactly work the with after market scuppers I bought so I modified the stay locations a bit, 2mm each. Still sea worthy by any means. enjoy
  14. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    I am one happy camper. The engine is a real work of art, the pics just don't do it justice. I hope you can see the mains have oil cups with wicking material. I put something on the pic so you can see the real size of it. I found a conversation to go from kg/CM2 to lbs/sq inch and it is designed to operate at 21 lbs pressure, and the safeties blow at 28.4, lower than most of our LS locos., Enjoy
  15. Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

    Sean, thank you very much. Boiler and 3 cylinder engine is to be delivered TODAY, so I am again diverted.