Challenger to PS3

rbrown7713

Help and advice with diy PS3 upgrade for my 2004 Challenger loco.  Any input will be greatly appreciated.  I bought this loco off of Ebay and when I got,  it had shipping damage, so I am fixing that and since it is all apart, I might as well switch to PS3 and battery power. Is it necessary to change to led lights?, or shall I just leave the incandescent in place?  Thanks Bob.

MTH has a board to upgrade PS2 engines to PS3 without replacing the lights to LED and I have those in-stock.  The board would already be setup for your engine with correct sound and configuration so it is fully a direct drop in.  You just plug harnesses into the board and screw it down.  If the current PS2 board is good then the upgrade is $150.00 with exchange of the old board.  If the old board is bad then $175.00 with exchange.

Thank you Rayman.  3 more questions.  If I decide to leave the incandescent lamps in, and since this will be battery powered, will the battery drain be quite a bit compared to the led setup?  If not, I will leave the lights as they are.  One more question.  Is there a kit for the led's already wired with plugs?, or do I have to cut the wires and install the leds myself and are the resistors in the PS3 board? Bob.

Sure thing.  Since it is the Protosound (PS2 or PS3) board powering the lights (ie not using your own voltage board) then the power used will be minimal and not something of concern or any sort of a material impact to your battery life.  If you upgrade the engine with the upgrade board I noted above and you wanted to go with LED lights then you would need to cut wires and install LEDs with resistors.  Unless you just want the look of LEDs on the engine I would stick with the incandescent lights and just upgrade with the drop in board.  That is what I did for all my PS2 One Gauge engines.  To me it was too much work to try and replace all the lights with LEDs.