PS 3 board is dead (*Resolved* Board ok, power supply issue)

rbrown7713

I installed a PS3 board in my Challenger and I just tried to find the Challenger loco with the remote and the remote said that there is no engine to find.  Checked wiring and appears to be good, it is acting as if it is dead. Any ideas. Bob.

I answered on the other (OGR) forum because I forgot your name there.

I don't believe there are any lights on the board itself.

Does this engine have a polarity switch? Check for power on both sides.

Ray has always helped me out before and long after any sale.

I found my problem. My power supply failed, no voltage.  The reason that I didn't catch it was the led in the TIU was lit, so I thought I was getting power, but I wasn't.  After making some voltage checks I found it, so it is running now and boy, does it sound good, thanks Joe. Bob.

I was out and responded late anyways. I am always glad to hear it is resolved anyway possible.

When I get something like this, I always feel a certain amount of guilt that it's my fault. It's always great to see it thru and find out what was the problem for learning.

Like I said, I made some assumptions that were wrong.  I hardly had a volt coming into the TIU, but the red diode was lit, so I assumed that I had power, but no, so after checking the voltage at the plug to the board itself, I found it.  Thanks again Joe. Bob.

19 hours ago, enginear joe said:

Ray has always helped me out before and long after any sale.

Thanks Joe.  I was doing my best to help here in this case too via email during the day yesterday while I was out with my family on Christmas holiday.  Although there really was little assistance that could be provided as there just aren't many things that can go wrong with this upgrade.  The board is already prepared and just requires screwing it down on the posts, plug the harnesses into the new PS3 board and applying power.  Any issue would require a systematic recheck of everything of those things or anything else changed when the engine was apart.  The only chance I saw of a problem was a mistake in the extension wiring that were added to the front engine set while the engine was open for upgrade(which would have damaged the board), something was left unplugged in the engine or the board was some how damaged through static discharge because improper static grounding protocols weren't followed(which even to this day I'm not aware of a static discharge killing a board).  So in the end I was certain the board was still likely working fine and was something simple but being remote you can't have visibility to everything.  If all steps had been exhausted it was going to have to be sent back to me for testing to ensure it hadn't been damaged.