Running time question

Cs641

I have a question on how long you guys run your trains time wise on your layouts. Currently I only have an indoor layout that we setup for about 6 weeks around Christmas time. Because the layout is only operating a few weeks a year we tend to run our trains at least 8 hours at a time more or less every day for 6 weeks.

Is that too long of a run time in one stretch? 

On a side note I've heard folks talk about wheel and track wear. I've yet to see any wear on my wheels(mix of plastic and metal) or the curves on my track(brass) and I'm wondering what to keep an eye out for. I doubt we do enough running but it's mainly out of curiosity. 

Thanks!

I run outside, usually 1-3 hours or so. Might lube your engines. Run them opposite ways some also, so the same flange isn't pressed against a curve all the time. Some engines may over heat, being run that long, so maintenance is critical.

It really depends on a number of factors, the engine you're running, the load it's under, how tight the curves are, does the engine's motor have adequate ventilation to stay cool, etc.  The vast majority of engines I've seen can run all day without problems.  LGB Mikado for me comes to mind as an exception that even with modifications to help keep the motor vented and cool it would still overheat with minimal load after a relatively short time on our public display.  The tighter the curves the more wear you will see on the track flanges.  Smaller lighter weight engines will wear less, heavy big engines will do more wear.  If you use brass track (softer metal) then the track will wear on the insides of the curves, if using stainless steel it will last forever.  Track wear isn't a consideration for most people and is only seen really on public displays.  In your case only 6 weeks out the year I would say it's not a big deal.  

Keep an eye on engines that seem to slow down and if you can check motor temperature by hand you can get an idea per model if any are over-taxed. Overall I would say you shouldn't have too many problems.  As Jerry said, keep your engines lubricated!  Including gears if you can get to them.

One of my factors for running the same consist for an extended period is how hot the power supply gets, especially if I'm running more than one locomotive at a time. If the power supply gets too warm after a while, I stop that particular line, or take one locomotive off the track. Individual locomotives, ranging from my GP38 all the way to my Hudson, seem to only get the USA Trains Power 10 barely warm at all, even after an extended run time of around an hour, typically with a mixed consist of heavy cars.

With proper lubrication and using both 8-foot and 10-foot diameter track on separate lines, I've yet to encounter serious problems with either locomotives, track, or rolling stock. Since I only have experience with USA Trains and Aristocraft locomotives, and those in good condition, I have a high degree of confidence in their performance for long running times.

I would only expect a power supply to get hot, if it's running near the edge of it's capacity. I have 25 and 30 amp power supplies that just cruise staying very cool no matter what I throw at them.

The nice thing about running more than one engine to pull a train, is they should split the duty. I always try and pull the built up train (cars) by hand to gauge how many engines will do the job easily. I would not expect economy plastic geared locos to pull heavy trains up large grades for long periods without damage.

I guess we all have our own ways of doing things. I would always recommend using G scale MTH metal geared engines when possible. I haven't lost one yet for over ten years of service.