new member here track advice please

Tommy336

I want to install a g scale tract indoors and wondering if I can get away with using the cheaper tract that is NOT solid cooper or would I regret using the cheaper track later on. The tract will be about 120 ft. total with up to 40 cars. Thanks for any help. Tommy 

I use stainless steel track but what I have read there is no such thing as solid copper. There is brass track with various amounts of copper. The higher the % of copper gives better conductivity. I do not believe that 120 feet should not be a problem as far as conductivity, stainless would be a problem. No matter what brass you use it will corrode over time and require cleaning.......Jim

And maybe too what is meant by the question is using hollow rail not full solid core.  There are a couple of types of cheap hollow rail (dont recall off hand who made it maybe Bachmann) but I dont recommend it.  Stick with good quality solid rail and I too also use and swear by Stainless Steel track.

Go with code 250, trains look better and it's a little cheaper than the larger code 332. It's just a smaller rail, same distance between rails.  Sunsset Valley Rail has it in many metals and their switches are some of the best.

Drawback to using code 250 rail is it's "shorter" in height. Code 332 offers almost 1/4" more clearance from roadbed to top of rail as the ties sit much higher that code 250. I've been using new Piko brass code 332 with Martin ties for little more that $4 per foot. 

Yes stay away from that hollow tinplate rail such as Lionel, Gargraves & the shiny Bachmann. Brass Bachmann would be okay :)

Joe on here as stated that the hollow Gargraves is very tight with track gauge.