New MTH 2017 G scale Catalog

enginear joe

The MTH One Gauge Big Boys are now in-fact shipping and have some on the way.  My orders will be filled in the order they were originally placed but from what MTH has indicated the full delivery of engines should be here in the next 3 weeks.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give you guys a heads-up that MTH has announced a new Wi-fi hardware device, the DCS - Explorer Track Interface Unit w/Wi-fi built-in.  

Separate topic has been started in the Battery forum:  

- New WiFi Hardware: DCS - Explorer Track Interface Unit w/Wi-Fi built-in (50-1035) - $129.95 MSRP

- Availability date: Unknown

- Control your trains via Wi-Fi with your smart device (phone/tablet)

- Will not require TIU or WIU and will be like a TIU and WIU combined with a more limited feature set.

- Expect this will be the device that One Gauge battery operators have been waiting for.

50-1035-Info.jpg.8f706eb3d8b751b40cd971bdc828fa0a.jpg

DCS version 6.00 has officially been released and have links to MTH website and direct download available on the below topic.   You will need to update your Remote and TIU to DCS 6.00 in order to use the new Premium version of the Wifi app about to be released.

From http://mthtrains.com/news/594

New DCS 6.0 Software Available For Download

dcs_software_v6.jpg.9205ff8b53f0ce6a442534f21c5a9fdd.jpg  Click HERE to Download DCS 6.0 Software 

YOU MUST USE THE DCS 5.0 CONSUMER LOADER TO INSTALL DCS 6.0 SOFTWARE INTO YOUR TIU AND REMOTE.

dcs_v234.jpg Click HERE To Download DCS 5.0 Consumer Loader Software

April 17, 2017 - The latest version of the software used in the DCS system is now available for download. The download is FREE and includes new DCS Hardware Software (Version 6.00) that allows the TIU to control Lionel Legacy locomotive features when the TIU is paired with the DCS WIU WiFi Interface Unit. Both the DCS Remote and TIU Track Interface Unit should be updated with the new software however, once updated the Remote will NOT have Legacy function control. Legacy control is only available when DCS is controlled via the DCS Premium App.

The new DCS Software allows the user to control the TIU from the DCS iOS and Android Premium App available from the Google Play and Apple iTunes online stores. App control of DCS also requires the separately sold DCS Wi-Fi Interface Unit (WIU).

The new DCS Consumer Loader Program (Version 5.0) must be used to reprogram the TIU. Older versions of the DCS Loader Program are incapable of making some firmware changes to the TIU that allow the TIU to interface with the Wi-Fi Interface Unit.

• 1 month later...

When I see all the modern rolling stock that USA trains is putting out: Modern High cube box cars, 83' auto carriers, container cars, spline cars and beer cans to name but a few, classic reefers, and reruns on the lightweight coaches. I feel that MTH is really slipping behind in not offering anything really new (redecorations or improved electronics on older models, for me, doesn't count as new) This is sad state of affairs There are so many things we need in 1/32 scale classic era freight stock: tank cars, gondolas, stock cars. Plus what Jerry and some other fans are waiting for: modern image freight cars, like the ones mentioned above, heavyweight coaches and scale length coaches are much bemoaned also.

I am sad because I started to model US prototype in 1/32 scale about 8 years ago thanks to MTH, but it has been now several years that I haven't bought anything new in their 2 last catalogs. I think it would be cool if that situation changed to the better. I hope this encourages them to do something about it.

Well the new Big Boys sure look nice.:)

I just received a old one a few weeks ago that is from 2004 with a hour run time and it looks brand new.  No not cheap lol

Thanks very much  to Ray's help,  bugging him with many e-mails I have put his life time battery in it and the new also 2004 Challenger.

The results  are outstanding with both in conventional and I can't wait to get some track in the yard and fire up the new DCS with WiFi (if it ever stops raining):D

Just curious Jerry, Did you order the Veterans Dash 8?

Larry

Very interesting esp. when Mike goes into the tool rooms and building where all his molds are stored. Mike says something like some of these large tools can cost up to $25K to produce.

Lewis Polk always claimed it cost him $100K to cut a tool for say a new locomotive. Just more Lewis lies being revealed. 

That's great news, I've been waiting in anticipation this month to see if MTH changes the delivery date for the GS-4... maybe there's a chance that it really will come soon.

Ray, do you have any idea what the production volume like will be from the 2017 catalog? It can't just be preorders, can it? It doesn't seem to me like they've advertised the 2017 catalog too much (e.g. not in Garden Railways Magazine at all). I might be interested in some MTH freight cars including a SP caboose 70-77036... but I'd like to get the GS-4's first and see how it looks to pull 1:29th scale freight cars with a Warbaby. I'm hoping with some smaller cars up first it'll look okay. (When I watch real train movies from the era the cars vary so much it looks some of out of scale!)

What MTH produces is never just based on pre-orders.  For those items where they actually have an actual pre-order period (ie taking pre-orders before they give a go to production) they produce on pre-order plus some extra (i don't have insight into what that extra is).  For these items like cabooses where they clearly gave the production order either before or at the same time as the catalog announcement date then they are simply guessing as to what to produce based on what they think will sell based on the past.  MTH doesn't give out actual production numbers.

From what I understand from MTH management they are very pleased with how the One Gauge line is selling with the Big Boy selling out before they were even shipping so it would appear that word gets around fast enough within our small community without the extra advertising expense.  I'm not sure I know of very many people that rely on Garden Railroad magazine as their only source of information on G scale and would thus be totally in the dark on new product offerings.  With so many new forms of online social media, companies are changing how they view marketing and now use Facebook, forums such as this to raise awareness of their products.  

On the 1:32/1:29 size, I would say it depends on the rolling stock you are looking at.  I have felt a number of 1:29 rolling stock looks too big behind 1:32 engines, but there are some scales larger that 1:32 that I have felt looks ok.  

Thanks for the insight, Ray. But as for getting the word out, I would have to say that my experience in my local club is very different. Most of the members are not in any large scale online community, and generally don't know about anything unless it was in Garden Railways or mentioned in our club newsletter. A few members get out to large scale shows or events like the NGRC, but MTH hasn't had a booth in recent years. And even then, it may take persistence and bold advertising to reach some. A couple friends went to a recent open house at Gold Coast Station where Charles Ro was present, and supposedly talking about their upcoming FEF-3 and passenger cars, and yet my friends came back unaware of these new items. I really think a significant percentage of people in the hobby haven't heard of the MTH 2017 catalog. That said, maybe this doesn't matter, because the same people in my local club who have no idea what's going on unless it comes to them in print also wouldn't likely buy anything!

I don't doubt that there are some people that may not have heard, but this can be where each of us can help.  MTH mails and emails the catalogs to customers directly when they come out.  They (or someone else for them) can go to: http://mthtrains.com/main-contact-form and provide the catalog they are interested in along with their contact and mailing info.  Then they will get a copy or notification when new ones come available.  That's part of the reason why this forum even exists is because of the desire to take an active role in trying to help communicate information out.  It was why I did a number of trainshows a few years back putting on the large displays, to help show people what is out there.  My point for saying this is encourage us to think differently.  If we know word about new products isn't reaching some people (especially those in our own clubs or groups) then I think we should make sure these things come out as announcements in club newsletters etc when they are sent out.  As time goes on I think the overall number of people that are completely offline and not on the internet or email will continue to decrease with at some point most everyone being online.

Yeah that is different from what I have seen from my local g scale clubs.  Everyone I know in the local groups was on-line.   

The other thing I remember from Garden Railroad magazine in the past was it was the big retailers that also did a lot of the advertising, so if there are zero ads now about big new products like the new MTH Big Boys etc then that again shows how much the economics of G scale has changed.  I don't have a subscription to GR magazine, I get my news online and direct from the manufactures.

On G scale only shows from what I have seen the trends appear to be lower and lower turnout with the 2016 ECLSTS turnout being surprisingly low:

I was there first half of the day Friday. Worst attendance I have ever seen. Talked to Scott Polk, he is trying to get some steam locomotives built. Talked to Navin at Crest and looks like the REVO will soon have some new diesel sounds. There was plenty of new (Aristo) Polk track available including Stainless. I picked up two SS wide radius switches for $49.50 each from RLD. It seemed to me because of the shortage of new product that the old stuff is demanding high prices. Picked up an Arito GP-40 for my grandson. There was some new MTH stock for sell. I have always attended both days but not this year. It was really empty, I remember bumping my way through the crowd, this year I could have rolled a bowling ball from one end of the building to the other with out hitting someone.

From this thread:

I also see an image on the http://www.eclsts.com/  website that all Fall Shows have been canceled? (But Spring is still on)

This goes along with what we saw by Dave Robert's attempt (local) who tried to get G scale only shows here and in other parts of the US and couldn't get enough foot traffic to keep them going.  Established shows like World's Greatest Hobby shows that do all scales were always packed here in Kansas City and are attended by MTH.

3 hours ago, Rayman4449 said:

I don't doubt that there are some people that may not have heard, but this can be where you can help.  MTH mails and emails the catalogs to customers directly when they come out.  They (or someone else for them) can go to: http://mthtrains.com/main-contact-form and provide the catalog they are interested in along with their contact and mailing info.  Then they will get a copy or notification when new ones come available.  That's part of the reason why this forum even exists is because of the desire to take an active role in trying to help communicate information out.  It was why I did a number of trainshows a few years back putting on the large displays, to help show people what is out there.

Yeah that is different from what I have seen from my local g scale clubs.  Everyone I know in the local groups was on-line.   

On G scale only shows from what I have seen the trends appear to be lower and lower turnout with the 2016 ECLSTS turnout being surprisingly low:

From this thread:

I also see an image on the http://www.eclsts.com/  website that all Fall Shows have been canceled? (But Spring is still on)

This goes along with what we saw by Dave Robert's attempt (local) who tried to get G scale only shows here and in other parts of the US and couldn't get enough foot traffic to keep them going.  Established shows like World's Greatest Hobby shows that do all scales were always packed here in Kansas City and are attended by MTH.

Congratulations as I think this is the 10,000th post??!! 

:):D:):D:)

Ray, I wanted to order a Dash 8. I just could not decide which one to get. Cash is tight and I'd probably need to sell off stuff to get more.

Do you have any info about sales of them? Are any roads not getting good pre-orders? Any roads close to being cancelled?