New MTH 2017 G scale Catalog

enginear joe

48 minutes ago, Larry Sr. said:

Oh lord, Grandsons  can be real tough on us old grandpas.

:Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

Larry

ps, of course we never have to many trains.:Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24):

I used to be a tough guy. Now I melt when they even care a little about something. They like my old USA SD40-2 Burlington engine. It was my first G scale engine. It makes so much gear noise that they told me not to run it. But I better not dare get rid of it! 

The older one used to just stare at it on the bare floor in the dining room, maybe dreaming of it running someday? I have to fix it again even if I don't want to. I will gladly do it if that keeps their interest for even a little while longer.

Once they see girls for the first time, these things will be toast!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That all sounds familiar. My youngest grandson is 13 this year and his train engine interest has dwindled considerably over the past few years. My granddaughter is 4:Flushed_Face_Emoji_large(24x24): and I still consider a terror in the train room:Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24): but I’m sure she’s going to improve. She likes to take things with her.:Wink_Emoji_large(24x24):

Larry

• 2 months later...

Wanted to share an update I just learned today, this production run of GS-4s in the 2017 catalog will NOT have die cast metal frames as was originally indicated on the MTH website.  It will have the same frame type as before (plastic w/metal weights).

I have already sent notifications to everyone that has ordered one from me.

MTH ELECTRIC TRAIN SHIPPING FEBRUARY 27, 2018

Just noticed on O forum that more  MTH  Railking One Gauge Bigboys are scheduled to arrive .

Didn't know they shipped twice?

Catalog: 

ZZ Uncataloged Items

Product Line: 

RailKing One Gauge

70-3026-1.jpg

Item No. 70-3026-1 Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy Steam Engine With Proto-Sound 3.0

70-3027-1.jpg

Item No. 70-3027-1 Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy Steam Engine With Proto-Sound 3.0

Larry

If the plug inside the back of the locomotive comes loose from front part of the drawbar, you should only need to unscrew the drawbar from the frame to gain access to the plug.  Pull it down with a pair of pliers if you can't get at it with your fingers and plug it back in.  That should save you from having to drop the frame from the engine.

Also when plugging in the drawbar to the tender, it is often helpful to grab the back of the tender and tip the back of the tender up while you are pushing the drawbar into the tender plug.  I have found the two won't fully seat unless you do that.

I only took my Big Boy outside once, and I don't remember having any difficulty connecting it to the tender.

In O scale when they are tough to connect, we lay a towel or foam next to the track and lay both on their sides. That helps to show when they're aligned better for connecting. Don't break or crack the connector with extra force. Once you do, they won't work right. If they can stay together, they work trouble free. People complained before about the large tether wire looking bad. This was their solution.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Trainworld had Mike Wolf from MTH trains interview on their facebook page this morning live from the York show. He stated that the dash 8 6 wheel trucks were delayed for some type of motor life testing issue that it now passed. G scale is at about the 14 min mark.

It was interesting that just before the 11 min mark, he stated that the newest SD70ACE painted for UP honoring veterans, would be highly desired by the G scale crowd. I'm not sure if that was just to tease us?

He also talked about the new gauge one GS4 having modifications to the frame, front truck, etc. as well as the new features. He said it's around 3 months out still.

here he says about G scale being a small niche market at the York show TCA announcements booth. He has drawings for a future diesel!!! 

15:50 into the video he speaks about the one gauge future releases.

I watched both of those yesterday as well and I agree that he wasn't very clear about the UP 1943 SD70Ace...was he referring to only the paint scheme or the whole locomotive??

Doesn't really matter much as the 2017 catalog hasn't entirely shipped yet. The GS4's that are 3 months out can turn into a Christmas delivery...so can the 3 axle Dash-8's. That puts any new catalog being published into say early or mid 2019. Then another 2 year wait until that stuff is all shipped. 

I do like the idea of the SP GS4 & passenger cars being offered with Christmas lights...hmmm....:Thinking_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):  

• 2 weeks later...

Update:5/1/18 --- Two GS4 paint schemes have been **CANCELED** due to not enough pre-orders.  

- 70-3032-1 - All black SOUTHERN PACIFIC GS-4

70-3032-1.thumb.jpg.a0547c9f4af948e3537d9ec9a042a9af.jpg

- 70-3035-1 - All black BNSF GS-4

70-3035-1.thumb.jpg.f81737a58114ab6b36dfe35ccfe14b84.jpg

That's a shame that they got cancelled. There have been releases I was excited to see in the past that also have been cancelled. In O scale fairly recently, it has become pre-order it or risk not getting it.

I hope all the Dash 8 schemes make it. I should have pre-ordered more.

• 1 year later...