New MTH 2017 G scale Catalog

enginear joe

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure Ray, rub it in!

You're going to get some more sales from me, I just need to figure out which. The grandkids tease me that I have too many CSX engines in O scale. Of course to me, there's never too much. One prefers the bold colors of CN. Another always wants UP steamers.

What's a papa to do???

Jerry, If you compare the MTH Dash 8 after you run it for a few years and the K Line, you'll be amazed at the difference. Of course the K Line wasn't a high level engine. My Dash 8's are almost bullet proof. I have some over ten years old and still performing perfectly.

I guess I'd have to ask people comparing them, if they're intending to pull a train out once a year and run a few laps with just a couple cars, or use it regularly. You can always make those GPs into dummies!

The K line I upgraded with NWSL gears and some rewiring, are still performing well though. Of course I only re-used the trucks. I just haven't found many more to work with. I wonder if some just got discarded? Maybe stored away somewhere?

Hello

Great info, thanks for the explanations Joe.
I have read and understood everything.
And yes we need a Barber S 2 truck in 1/32. A small wish
I like the safety tanker.

And Thanks again

Hmmm, I think the CN numbers maybe wrong for the engines?

I believe the CN numbers would be better around 2100 series?

http://rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=CN&Page=6

and

http://rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=142885

CN 2151

CN 330

I believe the numbers they chose are for the C40-9W or however they configure the Dash 9 numbering (9-40CW?)

Well although I am very happy that MTH came out with a new catalogue and did come out with another steam loco; I do wish we could see that small steamer they seemed to talk about a couple of years ago. Also the price increase is mind blowing, this isn't brass or hand made models. One of these days this will kill the hobby, how can a youngster get interested in trains with these kinds of prices for mass produced products?

5 hours ago, du-bousquetaire said:

Well although I am very happy that MTH came out with a new catalogue and did come out with another steam loco; I do wish we could see that small steamer they seemed to talk about a couple of years ago. Also the price increase is mind blowing, this isn't brass or hand made models. One of these days this will kill the hobby, how can a youngster get interested in trains with these kinds of prices for mass produced products?

Yeah, I wish there was something completely new too. These are great re-runs with some new upgrades, but it would be nice to see new models too.

Regarding prices, I wish it wasn't so, but brass prices have gone up a lot more than MTH has. Compared to prices of other plastic models from other manufacturers, the MTH prices seem pretty reasonable, especially if you're running DCS or DCC. I normally have to add more than $200 to the price of any locomotive for a decent sound decoder, plus many hours of effort installing it.

That said, not everyone will be able to buy them. But not everyone can afford HO either, it's a few hundred for a decent steamer these days. I have a theory that most of us pick hobbies that are a stretch for our budgets. There seem to be plenty of people buying boats and luxury cars everyday. Apparently some people even spend thousands of dollars buying a hot tub at the mall. I don't know how how people afford those. But for whatever reason I think there's a perception that model trains are "toys" and shouldn't be so expensive. I know most of my friends would be shocked if they found out how expensive this stuff is, yet no one thinks twice about getting a new iPhone for $750. I think it's more a matter of interest and perception than actual cost.

Of course there are plenty of ways to enjoy G-scale for far less money. My kids each have used locomotives with battery and remote controller--each for under $100. And most of my stuff I got used from swap meets as well.

Something that was mentioned by Mike Wolf that I truly hoped would have been delivered.

I'm not sure of the paint job yet? Probably a NS, or an ES44AC-H for CSX unless the grandkids badger me. Then it will end up a CN or a UP? They have their own favorites.

2010GE ES44ACevo2007_0426Image0063a.jpg

3 hours ago, Jerry B44 said:

Nice. You could paint one side one color and a different on the other side for the grandkids!

I would have never, ever thought of that. I do have a hopper painted like that. So I should have considered it sooner.

One time I turned the multi striped CN hopper around to the other, all grey side. One of the grandsons asked right away what had happened to it. I told him it's right there in front of him. He didn't believe me until I turned it around to see the colors he knew.

Hmmm, it would then appear that I have twice as many engines in my future videos!

4 hours ago, Rayman4449 said:

I'm working on getting the pricing page updated but do have some items:  http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH/MTH_OneGauge.htm 

The GS-4 is now posted.  All other pricing is the same as in the 2015 catalog.

Awesome! I will bring up the topic with my wife soon (of placing a preorder). :) But I'm surprised to see the delivery date listed as June 2017! Does this change what you so wisely estimated earlier (given the normal delays in this hobby)? Could MTH be so optimistic as to think they can deliver in five months, but then miss the date by a year or two? (Maybe the answer is yes... I suppose this did happen to me with Accucraft and those passenger cars.)

9 hours ago, benshell said:

Awesome! I will bring up the topic with my wife soon (of placing a preorder). :) But I'm surprised to see the delivery date listed as June 2017! Does this change what you so wisely estimated earlier (given the normal delays in this hobby)? Could MTH be so optimistic as to think they can deliver in five months, but then miss the date by a year or two? (Maybe the answer is yes... I suppose this did happen to me with Accucraft and those passenger cars.)

No it doesn't change my thoughts.  I could very well be wrong but will caution others reading that it is important to get pre-orders placed so you don't miss out.  There is also the risk that if not enough pre-orders are placed of a particular paint scheme it could be canceled.  I've only seen that on a couple of items (the last VO-1000 production run and American Freedom PA unit).

Because this is an issue that comes up often will point back to this post on my thoughts on dates:

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/558-mth-2015-one-gauge-catalog/&page=6#comment-8335

1 hour ago, John Carmichael said:

Ray,

Do you know yet how much the down payment will be for preorders?  Will it be the same percentage for all items?

Deposit is 20% for all items (refundable if order canceled before MTH ships to me)

Man this is fantastic news! Do the matching cars need to be preordered as well or will they for sure be produced and available when released? Any chance they will release any solid black unlettered gs4's?

I recommend pre-ordering the passenger cars as well.   They will be made but MTH can't get an accurate idea of demand unless people place pre-orders.  As far as an unlettered version of the GS-4, what they have in the catalog is what they plan to produce this run, so at least for this round there won't be one of those.