New MTH 2017 G scale Catalog

enginear joe

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Daylight looks great. One thing about MTH that puzzles me. I have attended a few larger shows where MTH was also present and they had no one gauge items displayed. When I asked they would say they didn't have enough room, it was to much trouble because they only had a small display at that particular show. They showed the One Gauge Bigboy and now Daylight in Germany. Do they show it in the U.S. ?  I've never see any.

When I attended a show in Kansas City some time ago MTH had One gauge on display.  I can't speak to the ones that you may have attended though.

The group that attends trains hows in Europe is probably different and located in Europe.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:38 AM, Dash 8 said:

Hi,

Nürnberg 2017 , MTH   http://spur1info.com/

Looks great, thanks for sharing this! I have a theory that this is either a new prototype or an old prototype (and not a production copy), because I'm seeing some differences between it and production (based on Ray's photos: http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Daylight_GS4.htm).

Some problems I see are that the front number plate is missing, the silver stripes on the pilot are curving up (hope they fix that!), and the train numbers are missing. But on the positive (and subjective) side, it sure looks like the smokebox gray is darker than it used to be (yay!), the stanchions on the side of the smokebox are black instead of gray, and the sides of the front platform are black instead of gray. Of course I'm assuming there was only one original production run. Does anyone know if that's true? If there were multiple runs I can see how there'd be some variation like this. (I know from experience that they are many similar variations between different runs of the USA Trains Big Boy.)

In any case, I'm just anxiously waiting for the new ones to ship, now that I've made a preorder with Ray. It's not like I'll have nothing to do for two years if it takes that long, but I can dream that it's sooner, right? :)

MTH%20Nbg2017-2.jpg

2 hours ago, benshell said:

Looks great, thanks for sharing this! I have a theory that this is either a new prototype or an old prototype (and not a production copy), because I'm seeing some differences between it and production (based on Ray's photos: http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Daylight_GS4.htm).

Some problems I see are that the front number plate is missing, the silver stripes on the pilot are curving up (hope they fix that!), and the train numbers are missing. But on the positive (and subjective) side, it sure looks like the smokebox gray is darker than it used to be (yay!), the stanchions on the side of the smokebox are black instead of gray, and the sides of the front platform are black instead of gray. Of course I'm assuming there was only one original production run. Does anyone know if that's true? If there were multiple runs I can see how there'd be some variation like this. (I know from experience that they are many similar variations between different runs of the USA Trains Big Boy.)

In any case, I'm just anxiously waiting for the new ones to ship, now that I've made a preorder with Ray. It's not like I'll have nothing to do for two years if it takes that long, but I can dream that it's sooner, right? :)

MTH%20Nbg2017-2.jpg

I'm pretty certain that is an old pre-production prototype which would explain the anomalies that we see with it.  On the smokebox I too would like to see it dark (black). I'm not sure if that is painted more like the color of the big boy smokebox or if it is just how the photo is exposed.  The more it is overexposed the lighter it will be, under exposed the darker.  

With the improvements on this new version I think it will be well worth the wait :)  

And thank you Ben :) 

• 3 weeks later...