enginear joe

New MTH 2017 G scale Catalog

84 posts in this topic

Okay, mailing off my order for the Veteran's dash 8 and the veteran's freight car.   20% down to hopefully  make sure they make them. Those dates of June 2017 can't be right, can they?

Ok will keep my eye open for it.  Yes 20% deposit (refundable).  I always say expect 2 years from the catalog announcement date.

They have all the molds. All that's different is the paint scheme. 

WOW! That was fast as catalog just came out!! :D

I clicked on the links to see what the hoppers look like. I just get the home page at MTH. Maybe the catalog artwork isn't done on each car at the site?

I'll have to look at the new catalog again.

Thanks for sharing.  Based on what I've heard I don't believe the prototype has been made yet so that engine pictured is likely prior release version. 

The Daylight looks great. One thing about MTH that puzzles me. I have attended a few larger shows where MTH was also present and they had no one gauge items displayed. When I asked they would say they didn't have enough room, it was to much trouble because they only had a small display at that particular show. They showed the One Gauge Bigboy and now Daylight in Germany. Do they show it in the U.S. ?  I've never see any.

I saw the MTH display at York way back. They had a loop of track with a challenger going round. They also had a display there with a Dash 8 and a Steamer (challenger or BB?) running constantly on rollers.

When I attended a show in Kansas City some time ago MTH had One gauge on display.  I can't speak to the ones that you may have attended though.

The group that attends trains hows in Europe is probably different and located in Europe.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:38 AM, Dash 8 said:

Hi,

Nürnberg 2017 , MTH   http://spur1info.com/

Looks great, thanks for sharing this! I have a theory that this is either a new prototype or an old prototype (and not a production copy), because I'm seeing some differences between it and production (based on Ray's photos: http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Daylight_GS4.htm).

Some problems I see are that the front number plate is missing, the silver stripes on the pilot are curving up (hope they fix that!), and the train numbers are missing. But on the positive (and subjective) side, it sure looks like the smokebox gray is darker than it used to be (yay!), the stanchions on the side of the smokebox are black instead of gray, and the sides of the front platform are black instead of gray. Of course I'm assuming there was only one original production run. Does anyone know if that's true? If there were multiple runs I can see how there'd be some variation like this. (I know from experience that they are many similar variations between different runs of the USA Trains Big Boy.)

In any case, I'm just anxiously waiting for the new ones to ship, now that I've made a preorder with Ray. It's not like I'll have nothing to do for two years if it takes that long, but I can dream that it's sooner, right? :)

MTH%20Nbg2017-2.jpg

I can't get my scanner to work so here goes..... some nasty old photos before digital!

DSC_1943.JPG

DSC_1944.JPG

2 hours ago, benshell said:

Looks great, thanks for sharing this! I have a theory that this is either a new prototype or an old prototype (and not a production copy), because I'm seeing some differences between it and production (based on Ray's photos: http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Daylight_GS4.htm).

Some problems I see are that the front number plate is missing, the silver stripes on the pilot are curving up (hope they fix that!), and the train numbers are missing. But on the positive (and subjective) side, it sure looks like the smokebox gray is darker than it used to be (yay!), the stanchions on the side of the smokebox are black instead of gray, and the sides of the front platform are black instead of gray. Of course I'm assuming there was only one original production run. Does anyone know if that's true? If there were multiple runs I can see how there'd be some variation like this. (I know from experience that they are many similar variations between different runs of the USA Trains Big Boy.)

In any case, I'm just anxiously waiting for the new ones to ship, now that I've made a preorder with Ray. It's not like I'll have nothing to do for two years if it takes that long, but I can dream that it's sooner, right? :)

MTH%20Nbg2017-2.jpg

I'm pretty certain that is an old pre-production prototype which would explain the anomalies that we see with it.  On the smokebox I too would like to see it dark (black). I'm not sure if that is painted more like the color of the big boy smokebox or if it is just how the photo is exposed.  The more it is overexposed the lighter it will be, under exposed the darker.  

With the improvements on this new version I think it will be well worth the wait :)  

And thank you Ben :) 

Big Boy 4014 (70-3026-1) is now sold out in pre-orders.  

Just received a printed copy of the 2017 catalogue. There's always something nice about flipping thru a printed catalog. 

IMG_3269.JPG

Thanks MTH, well done !

Well I'll be.....

It came today in the mail for me too. I just emailed them today asking for a catalog.

G scale is clinging to life.....

Who do you write to to get one?  I found it, just go to the MTH page and click on catalogs on the upper bar and fill in the info.

My son got a catalog from MTHRRC membership.  I went to link Raymond just posted and received one in the mail.