custom power tools?

I believe the reason it takes me so long to produce anything, is due to where my stuff is kept. With my physical condition, I struggle to cut stuff by hand. I have a 10" table saw for cutting larger plastic pieces out back in my shed. It needs custom set up to handle plastic and small pieces. The location alone, slows things in the harsh winters.

I would like to get a small table saw right near my basement work bench. Every time I look at what's out there, I get discouraged. Semi high priced for what they offer. I demand a tilt arbor or table. That alone triples the price.

I'm tempted to build my own mini table saw. I could create a custom top for handling small pieces. Maybe I should just start with a battery circular saw and mount it upside down?

What do you guys use?

That would have been great back in the day. Nice that it's so mobile.

I fear anything that does not have 2 batteries. I don't like down time!

I don't need cordless where I'll put it.

I'm looking over all the small saws that would work.I've read about plastic gears that strip. I can't help but like the full sized saws better. I always wanted a Unisaw or similar. I really need to focus on something small.

Years ago I bought a Ryobi that I wasn't happy with. Constantly moving I never bought anything I couldn't move easily. Now, I'm just lazy.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:04 AM, enginear joe said:

I believe the reason it takes me so long to produce anything, is due to where my stuff is kept. With my physical condition, I struggle to cut stuff by hand. I have a 10" table saw for cutting larger plastic pieces out back in my shed. It needs custom set up to handle plastic and small pieces. The location alone, slows things in the harsh winters.

I would like to get a small table saw right near my basement work bench. Every time I look at what's out there, I get discouraged. Semi high priced for what they offer. I demand a tilt arbor or table. That alone triples the price.

I'm tempted to build my own mini table saw. I could create a custom top for handling small pieces. Maybe I should just start with a battery circular saw and mount it upside down?

What do you guys use?

I have an older Micromark mini table saw I bought used from a friend for $100. It's great for thin materials, but bogs down with plastic over 1/4". Wood is usually no problem, as long as it fits--1" blade height and a tiny table--but it has stalled as well if I go too fast, and with such a short fence it's hard to get perfectly straight cut. I think the problem is mostly the operator though. The friend I bought it from used it for years to create some of the most incredible wood models I've ever seen. That makes it hard(er) to blame to the tool!

I always want to look at HP of the motor and how good the fence and tilt mechanisms are. In reality, I need something small and light that I could make tiny pieces with angles on them for 1/8" plastic. Using my 10" saw is a little rough. Spending time cutting 1/2" body panels and grinding them at angles takes way too long by hand.

I just went outback and tried some plastic again on the table saw. Some of it chattered and cracked. Too cold? or just allowed to vibrate too much?

I cut plastic on my table saw regularly.  The trick is to use a blade with as many teeth as possible.  Plywood blades work well.  Of course, using a blade on plastic will make it much less effective on plywood.  I always keep my plastic cutting plywood blades separate from my plywood cutting plywood blades.  Your mileage may vary.

-Kevin.

Maybe try this table saw but it doesn't tilt..price is right though!

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-mighty-mite-table-saw-with-blade-61608.html

I'd think for sanding bevels & angles a big sander would be better??

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/woodworking/4-inch-x-36-inch-belt-6-inch-disc-sander-97181.html

it's funny to me that you can get a tiny tile saw with tilt for very cheap, but no such luck with table saws. I could get a 10" saw for less than the mini with tilt!

Maybe I could mount a plywood blade in this? I have to check on the arbor size.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-portable-wet-cutting-tile-saw-40315.html

I got spoiled working with better saws and equipment in cabinet and door shops. Once you use the big 220v unisaws, powermatics, or sliding panel saws, anything else is cheap and toy like. I have a Ryobi that was just about the only portable back when I got it. It was way overpriced ($800) back then but I lived in an apartment. I actually carried the thing. It has very low power for ripping, and the blade adjustment has just about worn out. They lowered the price as years went by and more makers introduced their own versions. I keep using it to get my money out of it. I have always used my worm drives for more than this thing anyways, even for cabinets.

Now all I need though is a way to cut small pieces of plastic right at my workbench. I need to focus as I keep staring at big saws and even lasers.

I really need 2 different saws and that keeps me from getting anything. Of course, now I'm broke. So that is a big factor. With my physical condition, I will probably never need a unisaw again.

I'll probably get that micro saw and some type of disc sander. I couldn't justify the costs of the big table belt sanders. I just lay my hand one on it's side!

• 1 month later...

Hi Joe: I use the Proxon table for most of my precision cutting. Its a bit expensive but good quality if you want a small size one (my workshop is very small.) I used to know professional ones as I was in the scene building business but they take a lot of room. On another forum I saw  one very tallented modeler make Journal box from brass bars for his live steam locos on a regular wood cutting table saw§ and he routed steam loco cylinders from bronze rectangular bar on a router!

I thought I would show you a cold cut saw that I made to cut 10 x 10 inch by 3/16 inch steel.  I took an miter cutting saw, Ryobi, and took out the 5000 rpm motor and replaced it with a 900 rpm treadmill motor allow the blade to slow for cutting steel.  The blade that I used was a carbide 60 tooth blade for wood.  I made 40 such cuts with one blade.  I will attempt to post a video. Bob.  

Here is another homemade tool that I made from a treadmill, a 14.5 by 40 inch sander with a vacuum pickup, very easy to make and cheap, in fact this treadmill, I salvaged from a neighbor that was throwing it away. Bob.  

Here is a repair that I made on a Bridgeport mill.  My 1500. dollar motor went bad, and did not want to spend that much on a motor, so I mounted, yes, you guessed it, a treadmill variable speed motor on the mill.  I used the old motor as a pulley mount to make it easier and installed some pulleys and for about 150 dollars got my mill back.  Here is a short video. I have powered my South Bend lathe, band saw, mill, cold cut saw, and the belt sander with treadmill motors and controllers. Bob.