ES44AC scratch build

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeap. me too! but my success looks like many others..... well you can guess. I am happy overall. It just takes me longer now than it ever has.

I take some artistic choices with these things and decide what I can do to capture the look the best. After staring at the tops of my MTH dash 8s for so many years, I find the look of the ES44 could be like this:

DSC_2011.JPG

they're just laid into place for now. I have to decide whether they should be flush or protrude out a bit?

Well that's totally top secret!

They are hopper car's catwalks that I cast and cut to size. I looked at the top of the Aristo Dash 9 and thought there wasn't anyway I could duplicate it. I looked at the MTH O scale version of the ES44 and saw they used brass etchings. After searching for some time to find the correct looking brass I gave up. So this from above seems to have that look. I may add brass screen if it helps the look.

• 3 months later...

OK, raining again and I'm bored. So I did a little bit more. I cut stuff up for the inter cooler thinger.

I made a plate to fit the hole, cut in 2 circles. Then I attached a piece of fine mesh screen. Filed it to fit. 

I made a pair of fans for looks too. I will mount them to a scrap bar of plastic.

DSC_2138.JPG

DSC_2139.JPG

DSC_2140.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Now it looks like 80% chance of rain, 80% of the week.

So............ I'm back at it.

It's just the layout stages so be kind.

Soon I'll figure out where to go next! Lots of screens to make.  & I hate making screens!

DSC_2149.JPG

DSC_2150.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I got several pieces cut and then noticed that they weren't right. The top of the cab is not drawn correctly. I probably should re-cut the sides while I'm fixing stuff. They should have been taller.

I like having a model near to look at. I wish I had looked at it sooner!

DSC_2173.JPG

DSC_2174.JPG

2 hours ago, enginear joe said:

I got several pieces cut and then noticed that they weren't right. The top of the cab is not drawn correctly. I probably should re-cut the sides while I'm fixing stuff. They should have been taller.

I like having a model near to look at. I wish I had looked at it sooner!

Don't feel bad Joe as my 3D printer will be doing just fine then for no reason it starts acting up like the program got corrupted or something.

I hate some of the stuff that goes on with modern tech. Seems like we are going towards automated smart houses. I can't wait to have someone in a foreign country turn on my lights, change the temp, and open doors from there!

What printer did you get? Do you like it?

Sometimes I nail it on the first try.

or like this one, it takes several attempts and a lot of fine tuning. Urrggg.

or maybe I should have just made a mold of a MTH Dash 8 cab.....??? (and said close enough!)

DSC_2194.JPG

Yes.  That is what I would have done, but, I am not a rivet counter.  I am not bad mouthing rivet counters, but I am 72 and have only so much time to devote to my endeavors.  It's a balance. Bob.

Me neither! If the end result looks nice that's all that matters. 99% of people won't know the discrepancies and the remaining 1% would even find flaws in the real 1:1 locomotive ...no pleasing those folks!

Take like a Aristo-Craft product...they went about 90% with making something then stopped...devil is in the details and they knew it.