PRR T1 O gauge shell received

rbrown7713

I received the Lionel O gauge shell for a template for modeling a 1:32 T1.  I was surprised because I expected a plastic shell, but it is metal and quite heavy.  If I can copy in 1:32, I will be happy.  I also bought a Mainline Modeler magazine, April 1982 with plans and some good closeup detail shots, so, some time in the future, I will start on this project.  Right now, I am working on the outside layout, have to get this done.  I have decided to abandon the 54" wide concrete base and opted for one that is only 20 inches wide so that it will look more natural and quite a bit easier for me to pour.  I am making a form to make small sections, 20 x 32 and will be able to pour one a day with Sakrete and reduce my cost.  I decided to take little bites at a time. Bob.

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

I will be approaching this from a kitbash angle.  I, myself, when I build a model, try to make it as easy as I can, so I am hunting for 1:32 locos that fit the measurements with regard to size of wheels, diameter, arrangement of the drivers.  I will be using two locos and joining them.  One, the motor mounts are already installed, the rods and cylinders are installed, so then, in my thinking is that from there on, it is a matter of a reasonable shape to make it look like the T1.  It sounds like you are going to start from scratch, which is admirable, but for me, part of the challenge is to make it relatively simple, if the word simple is even in play.  My basic goals are, simplicity of construction and making the model look good and pleasing to my eye.  I won't be building a museum quality model because of the time involved and having to make too many already made parts.  I could, I suppose take three years to build a fairly spot on model, but again, I don't have the time. Bob.

The wheel size is 80 inches==2.5 inches.  =1:32.  I have a question, in the Trust, when you sponsor a drawing, does that mean that you get that drawing?  Probably not. I probably have enough information and drawings that I got from Bing pictures to see me through. Bob.

OK, starting with an MTH Hudson.  In order to get organized, I will, tomorrow start drawing some 1:32 scale drawings to better get a picture of scale and placement of components.  The motor position surprised me as I thought it would be straight up, but it is more inline, might be good, I don't know yet.  Right off, I will have to make new side rods because of the position of the cylinders being so close to the drivers, and a million other things. Bob.

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

Might make a better Allegheny!

Image result for allegheny steam locomotive

I'm going to get blasted for that one......

Seems like the cylinder linkage is simpler on the T1. If you wanted to be exact that is. It appears to just have the top hanging with no bottom guides?

If you needed to move the motor closer, the nice thing with that drive type is it should be straight forward to make it shorter. That center shaft piece could be replaced too. There are many replacements available too both in model trains, and even RC cars.

Most went to an all metal HD version. I haven't had any plastic ones fail myself.

Unless you have the front engine run backwards? (for more motor space?)

So many choices, lose the rear axle or the front? I'm excited and I'm not even doing it!!

All of what you have stated, have been bounced around in my head also.  The gear box in the Hudson that I just took apart needs new gears as there is one spot that it slips.  I am also considering a belt drive.  I have so many ideas, I don't know which way to go.  Yes, the rod guide is a hangar from the top, so I will try to find one like that or make one, I would rather find one. The cylinders have to be moved closer to the wheels.  I will have to check the stroke, hope I don't have to shorten the stroke, that would mean new wheels, don't know yet.  What an engine that Allegheny is, wow. Bob.

I will have to look PSC and Accucraft.  I contacted Finearts models and they were not friendly at all.  They said that they sold parts in the past and some of the people bought the part from them and copied and resold them, so they won't sell any more parts to anyone unless they have a Finearts model and needs parts for their model. Makes sense, I guess.  I will contact Accucraft and PSC.  What is PSC?  I made a drawing in 1:32 just to position the wheels and the cylinders, so I will see where everything goes. Bob.

I looked  at PSC and nothing for 3/8" scale just 1/2 inch, so I will have to make the rods.  They have alot of other stuff though, might be able to use some of it. I will check out Accucraft.  Did they make a T1? Bob. 

Accucraft does make a live steam 4-4-4-4 and I guess today they are closed, I will call them Monday.  They will probably be the same as Finearts, protecting their art, which is understandable.   They are selling one for 6,000. too rich for my blood. Bob.