PRR T1 kitbash from 2 Hudsons

rbrown7713

Thanks Jerry for the encouragement, I can always use that. When I first started, I thought it would be easier and then the further I got into it, I realized that my original idea didn't hold water.  Yes, I am enjoying this and want it to look good, so I am trying a little harder than I bargained for in the beginning.  I looked for three days for some blind rivets for the cross arm to piston rod because of the tight clearance and just found them today from a firm in New York, so I am happy about that.  I am preparing to make the mold for the shell right now.  So, it goes on.  Bob.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of building a tender from scratch, I will use the Hudson's tender and stretch it out 6 inches.  I will also use the truck and adapt them.  I have already made a pattern for a 4 axle truck to make a mold. Bob.

IMG_0943.JPG

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, Chuck said:

Nice job with the rods!

I found this drawing...

001.thumb.jpg.44dbc1014fe24ab73998962afc8ac3dc.jpg

I never really stared at these pictures. Now that I finally am, I'm surprised at the differences! 4 different in the series? I've only heard of 2, saying with or without skirts?

Very interesting!!!

I am waiting for parts for the loco., so I am now working on the tender.  I am using two Hudson tenders to make one T7 tender for the T1.  Here is the Rube Goldberg setup that I used to get the correct curve of the top of the tender and also the correct height.  I am using 3 inch PVC pipe to emulate the shape. Bob.

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

I thought, originally, to model the proper trucks, but after looking at the trucks from the Hudsons, why not use those.  They were made in about 15 minutes, same mounts, and besides with the skirts on the tender, you can't see them anyway. Bob.

After dabbling with a few models, I have to agree. If it ever bothered you, you could go back and take your time to remake them. I believe that taking easier ways helps to keep interest and satisfaction levels high. If you struggle to much to produce something, it will cross your mind the next time. Sooner or later you may say to your self, it's not worth the effort.

Looking at both sides, I would put the effort where it matters the most. Accuracy is important to the level you set. There will always be some compromise somewhere in the model. 

The trouble with posting on these public forums, is there are people out there that are just looking for some fuel to bash the builder. That makes them feel better about never building anything themselves.

See Bob, you are having fun figuring out how to accomplish the build!   Looking good guy. I just keep in mind that I will be running it outside and sitting on my deck mostly, so lots of accuracy is not called for. I try to be accurate, but like Joe says you can get hung up on something and then never finish it. Only one other train guy here in town and this forum is about the only one I post pictures on, like Joe said you can get bashed by someone who can't build what you are doing but criticizes you anyway.

I agree.  Some use the 10 foot rule, so at ten feet who cares.  At my age, I couldn't tell the difference at five feet.  I use a 20 foot rule, so it will look good to me.  Here is how I am mounting the rod slides, it is adjustable.  I will cover the bolts with some sort of plastic to make it look prototypical, Bob.

IMG_0948.JPG

OK, Budd's workshop is not answering my question about what colors he used on his loco. Does anyone know what colors and type of paint he used? Any ideas would be appreciated. Bob.

I need some help.  I was putting the side rods on the T1 and discovered, one of the piston rods would not go into the cylinder, so I sanded the end, thinking that there was a burr on it, it didn't work, so I measured the diameter and found that the diam. was .156 instead of .144, like the others.  I had just ordered some new ones for a Challenger, so this is what I think.  MTH figured that if one was ordering a new rod, the hole in the cylinder, among other things, was probably, because of the wear oversized, so they made the replacements a little larger. to take up some of the slop. I don't know if that is the case, or they just goofed, I don't know.  Anyway, if anyone that owns a Challenger and has had  to replace the rod assy., maybe because the valve arm came off, or whatever, and has the old one and it is .144 in diam., I need one.  It is the front left, the front being longer.  I don't need anything that attaches to it, just the rod.  I have already sent Ray an email and hopefully he has one.  If I order a new one, it most likely will be the larger one, at .156.  If I have to, I can tear apart the cylinder and rebuild to the larger size, but the way that I have constructed it would make it quite a job.  Thanks, Bob.

I have Challengers. I don't have any extra drive parts. I do have a spare shell and details.

I was waiting to see if you could get the part from Ray or MTH. I would have to pull one off of a working engine and swap with you. I haven't checked to see what size would fit.

Thanks Joe, my problem is solved.  I re-drilled the hole to size.  The reason that I didn't want to do that is the bearing was thin walled brass tubing and I was worried about the wall being too thin, but it worked out OK. Works fine now. Thanks again Joe, Bob.