PRR T1 kitbash from 2 Hudsons

rbrown7713

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am laboriously continuing my work on the T1.  I am presently making the side fairings  and also installing rivets, took me a day just to figure out how to properly program the right and left sides, but it is programmed now and today I have made a Bondo mold base to cut them out in.  It's nice to have a cnc mill. Here are some pictures before the machining of the sides.  The white piece is of the first attempt for the fairings, but I would have to installed real little rivets and it is much easier on the mill.  When I get it machined, I will post a picture and 

then the actual part with the rivets.  I now have enough urethane to pour another shell and will do so shortly, then marker lights, some more detail and then final assembly.,  I will be happy to finish this project as I have other things to accomplish. Bob.

IMG_0983.JPG

Well, one of my last comments was, it's nice to have a cnc mill.  Well, it's not so nice now.  Won't boot up, so I will be down for a while until I fix it, so I will let you know what happens. Bob.

Yes, I have copies of the programs, but when I say it won't boot, I get a screen, but there is no message lines so I can't engage the servos, so I checked the limit switches and they are good, so somewhere there is an open in the servo check circuit.  I have contacted Anilam and they are to get back to me and they have been very helpful in the past.  Last time it was a drive board, but this time, I think it is something else.  The chief tech guy is a genius and he will know right off what it is.  I am waiting for his call. Bob.

Bob, I am very sorry for the problems you are having, if their tech assistance is anything like APPLE, you are in good hands, IMHO.  

Since you mentioned Bondo, I am about to have some fun with Bondo Glass.  Part of the FRP hull is supposed to have PVC strips installed as bulwark. nothing more than to make it smooth.  Near the bow I can't seem to make the strips they included for that make the compound curves necessary even with heat.  I decided I can use the GLASS compound for that area and also fill in minor blemishes as well.       

Any advice you can offer me for this part will be greatly appreciated.  LG  

I think my problem is solved, but won't know until I install the new board.  I will get it in about 5 days.  I talked to Anilam and they helped me identify the bad board and ordered one, 118.00, not bad, as the previous board cost about 400.  I have some other parts to pour, so I won't be slowed too much.  Bob.

Bob, thank you, I'm hoping for the best.  Last time I used Bondo was to patch a storm door, I learned to use as little harder as possible.   Yes, I did sand the area that I'm going to fill.   Happy your on the way to solving your problem with the system.    Stay Well 

EDIT:  i just applied the first area, not quite all the way but am satisfied with how it came out.  The 'hair' in the compound made it a bit more difficult to mix and apply as it had a tendency to draw more off than I wanted, but I'm learning and happy with it so far.  

You might already know this, but I will relate anyway.  Some differences in epoxy resin and  polyester.  I use epoxy for my molds because of several reasons, one, I have much more working time as the curing time is linear, no surprises.  Polyester, depending on the amount of catylist used might surprise one with the time of hardening, no surprises with epoxy.  Also when using polyester over polyester, there is a chemical bond, not so with epoxy, purely mechanical, so sanding is a necessity.  Also, lets say I am using epoxy resin for a layup with glass,  If I take too long and it starts to gel,  I can take a heat gun and blow it on the area that is gelling and it will become less viscous and allow me to finish the layup don't try that with polyester, it might catch fire.  Also when making a mold with detail, just laying glass over the details won't work, one will have bubbles because the glass is stiff and won't take the form of small irregularities, so I first mix glass spheres, micro balloons to a peanut butter consistency and spreading the mixture over areas of detail the would cause a problem if not used.  Then I lay glass over the entire area  and then no bubbles.  There is another advantage of using epoxy, fewer things will stick to it, good when using plastic for the part. Also, epoxy is more stable, maintains shape, once cured and less shrinkage  Here is a picture of one half of the shell for the T1 and you can see where I used the micro balloon mixture, the light  areas,  and none on flat surfaces because the glass will lay flat where there are no irregularities, the whole aim in making a mold is, no bubbles. Of course,  I wax my molds several times, maybe 5 times with mold release wax, Maquires No. 8.   Even after waxing, when making the part out of plastic urethane, I spray it with silicon release.  One problem when using silicon, is it is difficult to remove the silicon on the part for painting, haven't quite figured that out yet, but I am working on that.  Just some of things that I have learned to do when making molds or parts. Bob.

IMG_0984.JPG

tBob, thank you for sharing your years of experience with us.  I know I will not retain what you have posted, but I will print it so I will have it when I need a reference.  

BTW, learned that I need to use Bondo #3 as a finish coating if I want it to be smooth.    Never too old to learn.    Stay Well   

Like I said before, I don't know how many forum members make molds, but since I have made molds before, I feel like sharing my experiences so that some might benefit.  You might have noticed that not only trains is a part of my hobby, molds are a big part of my hobbies.  By the way, I have finally came up with the plan for the inside cab portion of the mold to  make it easy to remove the inside of the mold.  I will use three 1/4 inch pieces of plywood approx. 2.5 inches and place them side by side with a longer one in the center of the three.  Then when demolding the center mold, I will pull the center board out, leaving room to remove the two pieces of wood from the mold.  At this time I can bend the sides of the center mold back from the under cuts of the part, easily removing the urethane mold without worrying about mold lock.  It will make more sense when I post a picture. Bob.

Your welcome.  Again, I am not sure how many people can use this info., but I will try to relay as much as I can from things that I have experienced and if anyone has any questions I will let you know how I do it, not that my methods are gospel. Here is the situation that I was talking about with the protruding window.  There has to be a means to remove the inside mold section after pouring or there would be mold lock. Bob.

IMG_0986.JPG