PRR T1 kitbash from 2 Hudsons

rbrown7713

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just thinking ahead here. Will you have decals made? I have read posts of gold letters that are dry transfers and you rub them into place. Then spray a clear coat over to protect them.

I have to imagine that these engines in that time period would get real dirty, real fast? So I don't know if you wish to weather or model her clean, as delivered?

Anyway you do it, she is looking great to me. I took another look at a brass version today but I can't afford it right now. Maybe in a few years.

Yes, I have the dry transfer letters and am going to use pin striping tape for the lines.  I wish I had painted them on first, oh well that is the way it goes.  I am not going to weather it, I don't know how and don't want to screw it up.  The way that I treat engines, that will take care of itself.   The cost of this was close to the cost of buying a brass one, but this was an adventure that I would have missed out on if I had bought one,  so  I don't regret it. Bob.

Hi Bob:

I haven't been on this forum since month , wow! What great progress you have made, congratulation also for the beautifull combine behind it in the video. I have kept busy with a set of local coaches made from Märklin  Prussian six wheelers and the new bogie non corridor stock which I painted in SNCF green (this is for my French modeling) and did some lettering masters to make transfers for them and a more modern omnibus coach which is also a six wheeler rebuilt by the SNCF from pre WW1 old PLM chassis.

Then I finally tackled my NORD De Caso mikado tank a live steam model I am scratch building and my first scratch built steam loco. I got it to the point that it now has a chassis running on compressed air which for me who never had any mechanical training, is an acheivment. Now I will do the cosmetic Cossart valve gear and the bissel trucks. 

More recently, I finnished twelve NORD bogies made by a few french modelers I know this is my first laser designed and cut kit. It is  an amasement in precision with hardly any filing to do. These are brass, sprung, and possess the caracteristic shape of the frame and journal boxes. You can check this out on myLargescale.com at the following link: http://forums.mylargescale.com/18-live-steam/82754-de-caso-mikado-tank-build-log.html

By the way there is a front end throttle levers and bars on the right side of theT 1s boiler casing which will be a nice and fairly easy detail to make; let me know if you need a photo of that.

Wow, that is impressive.  What a project, it is beautiful.  Yes, send me a picture of the throttle.  It would look good, thanks for your comments, and don't make yourself a stranger.  I am going to use my cnc mill to put some gold stripes on the tender with a contraption that I made and worked once before so it should work this time. Bob.

Hi there Bob: now I will have to remember how to post a photo on this forum... It's so much easier than on another forum it is great!

As you can see it is a very simple linkage easy to add on.

While you are at it there is also the whistle detail on top of the boiler., so I made a photo of it too. It is right next to the safety valves on the cowling. It is recessed and that may be a problem.

I hope this helps. As in bright sunlight, this flashed side shot really shows up how Accucraft got their Dark green loco enamel of the Pennsy pretty darn right: Compare the chassis and cylinders with the bronze colored boiler. On the fireman's side there is no pipework other than the hand rail. I hope this helps.  I really like how you modeled the streamline top of the tender, I wish Accucraft had done it also. But I guess it would make the meth tank and water tank inaccessible. You can't have them all.

Best, Simon

P1060656.JPG

P1060658.JPG

Here it is with the trucks, still mounting the trailing truck, not so easy.  Had some spring on it which sprung some weight off of the drivers, so I am trying to figure out how to take some of the spring tension off of it and I think I will add some weight to the truck.  Had to repaint half of the tender as I messed up the pinstriping of the lines on one side, so that will be done tomorrow. Rewired some of the electronics to eliminate one plug to the loco, rub on some letters on the tender, some numbers on the loco' install the hand rails, got the wrong size ones in the mail, reordered,  and then  I quit. Bob.

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG