PRR T1 kitbash from 2 Hudsons

rbrown7713

I was able to order the parts from Ray and boy am I happy , MTH takes months, if at all.  I also am the proud owner of two Great Trains Super liner cars, one coach and one lounge, the one with the glass in the roof, only thing is that they are the 24 inch ones, so I know what I have to do about that.  These will look nice at an 85 foot scale, and of course I will have to order some more urethane for the molds. They cost me almost 300.00 each  from Trainz auctions, but I was happy to pay, since they are hard to find.  These will fit the P42's just fine. When I get them, will post pictures with the P42's. Bob. 

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A little more work done.  Getting ready to make the side rods and made a test roller set. Awaiting a reamer for the piston rod journal. I considered bidding on a Finescale T1 on Ebay, but if I had won, most likely this project would fall by the wayside, so I decided to not bid, as I would rather stay busy with this. Bob.

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

I couldn't find any gauge one tender sideframes, so I bought some HO side frames from Scale Products and they look pretty good, so I will scale them to 1:32 and make some molds similar to the way I made the 3 axle trucks for the heavyweight cars, should work out good.  I found some scale drawings on the T1 trust sight and was able to scale their drawings and came up with 36 inch wheels.  Does anyone have any information on these trucks?  If not, I will go with the 36 inch size. Bob.

I sold my T1 in O scale so I don't have much to go by. A quick search on the web shows some pics of the tender. I don't see very good pics of them.

the pics on the BrassTrains site maybe the best?

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/064634/1-32-Scale-G-Brass-FAM-Fine-Art-Models-PRR-Pennsylvania-4-4-4-4-T-1-Duplex-5500-As-Modified

Image result for prr t1 duplex tender trucks

Well, I don't have to worry about that Finescale T1, it is already up to about 4000. My cutoff was at 2500.  So I can concentrate on my T1 without having to worry about losing interest, if I had won it.   I programmed the side rods for the cnc cut and will cut them in the next few days.  I am installing bearings in the rods and judging from the way MTH does it, rods being so loose, probably for a reason,  I might be building it too tight, we shall see. Bob.

Here is what I came up with for the rod attachments.  I will have to redo the wheel rods because the rod is not long enough, about  .030 inch short, oh well, it was good practice. Bob.

IMG_0930.JPG

Hey guys, I have a question.  I bought an O gauge Dash 8 PS3 loco for the electronics.  My question is about the smoke unit.  Since it is a diesel smoke unit, is a steam smoke unit different?  I ask this because I would like the puffs of smoke as a steam engine would display. If anyone knows the answer, please post an answer, I would sure like to know, thanks , Bob.

There are different models of smoke units. Most, just have different shapes and sizes. They are all controlled by the boards. 

Do you have the smoke unit from the Hudson? I still have the one that came out of mine.

Let me know if you want to sell any of the -8 parts down the road. I'm broke right now!

Thanks for the information, it was valuable.  I will send you what ever I have for the Dash 8, don't need it.  The smoke unit from the Dash 8 is very small, think it will put out enough smoke? Bob.

It would do OK, I'm sure. I feel the MTH G Hudson's are the best G scale smoke units. They hold more fluid than the O scale version. The normal MTH O scale is a very good smaller unit. I've used those in modern O and G scale diesels. I put one in a USA Dockside too.