PRR T1 kitbash from 2 Hudsons

rbrown7713

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the bearings and shafts fit and they turn freely, in the new gear box,  so it looks like that I have a power drive system.  I will be powering it with one motor between the gear boxes driving two axles and the other two axles will be driven by the side rods. I have been a little slow on working on the model because of having to repair my two cars, a trans. on one, and a failed ignition key on the other.  I bought a Chevy van because the two cars weren't running so I had to buy the van, and also and it looks like that I will be having to work on that one too, so, I will be working on the model in a few days. Bob.

IMG_0862.JPG

Here is the trailing truck by joining two Hudson trailing trucks together.  The lead truck will have to be made by molds from scratch, unless someone  can tell me what lead truck looks close. Bob.

IMG_0874.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't given up on the T1.  I have been working on the outdoor layout and have had the flu, can't seem to shake it, but trying.  I have been reworking the cylinders to make them fit and the forward one is very difficult to fit over the lead truck, but I am getting there. Bob.

This motor is  out of an F3, fits perfectly between the gear box shafts and I found couplings on ebay, a 3.17mm by 4 mm for the shafts, so I consider myself very lucky.  Also poured some more viaducts today, been sick for a while, and I am sure out of shape, might have to slow my schedule down, it is wearing me out, Bob.

IMG_0908.JPG

Sure, but all that you would get would be crumbs, enough to make half of a cookie.  Shortly, I will be machining the drive rods and replacing the axle bushings with bearings, and then, of course, more molds.  I take the word kitbash back, this is a scratch build with a few parts from a Hudson thrown in, but coming along fine, but slow.  Everything that I do lately seems to be coming along slowly, maybe it's me. Bob.

I think that it was the chest cold that I had, I hope.  Also, I am out of shape, but I think that my stamina will improve as time goes on.  I poured two large sections and one base and three columns yesterday and was pretty tired.  Will do the same tomorrow, so I will see just how out of shape that I am, but eventually, it will get done. Bob.

Here is the basic chassis with the lead and trailing trucks and the gear boxes permanently mounted. I am waiting for the couplings for the motor install. I am presently drawing up the side rods for cnc cutting.  I also have fit the weights from the Hudson and they will all fit, so it will weigh somewhere close to the Hudson. Bob.

IMG_0910.JPG

Edited by rbrown7713
Forgot an additional item.

I'm going to throw out a guess that you may need to add more weight down the road. The Hudson I had didn't pull all that much. I had planned to add more weight myself.

But I do wish you luck. This is a very interesting build to follow. How those four drivers react to outside layouts will be interesting. Seeing your layout will be much more level than mine, you maybe fine.

OK, this is my theory and just a theory.  The Hudson had one gear box, so, one direct axle driving, and two axles turned by the rods.  Mine will have two gear boxes and two direct axles driving, and two axles turned by the rods, so should have more traction.  If my theory is wrong, I can always add more weight, if I can find the room. Bob.