USA Trains GP38-2 Questions

nscaler711

So I am new here but not to model railroading.

i am thinking about purchasing a GP38-2 and have some questions...

so I would like to have sound and possibly radio control, but in g scale that for me is extremely cost prohibitive... 

I run N scale so I already have a DCC system, it's a Prodigy Advance, but I don't know if it would be able to power the Geep... 

As I said I would like if I could do radio control as well, it doesn't have to be DCC, but something that allows me to control functions. 

I have a rudimentary RC system in a Aristo FA-1, basically runs off a 3s Lipo in the fuel tank, to a Reciever/esc chip. I can only control the speed at the moment... 

I just want to know if it is possible, or at least if it can be done cheaply. 

Because yay modeling on a budget. :D

The USAT GP38 is a WONDERFUL little locomotive; I love my little Norfolk Southern Geep. As far as battery power/radio control, yes, it is possible to do it; one solution is to have a battery in a box car behind the locomotive with the receiver inside the engine or fuel tank itself. Be careful, though: some parts of the doors on the GP38 like to break when you take the body off according to a friend of mine who did some work on one. As far as what parts to use or how to wire it all up, that's something totally beyond me at the moment, since I use track power only. If you keep an eye on the ebay user pikeup45 he occasionally lists GP38s retrofitted for battery/remote control/airwire. No guarantee the next one he lists will be the road name you're looking for, though.

Good luck!

• 6 months later...

So a couple months after I posted this topic, I went ahead and purchased a KCS GP38-2.

So far I love running it, though I need something better than a cheap @$$ Bachmann controller... (any help would be appreciated on deciding a new one that's reasonably priced) 

I have parts for it coming in today to more modernize it. 

I found SD70MAC cut lever bars, mirrors, and Ditchlights were just the thing I needed to improve the looks of it.  

I will post photos when I get those added on, the Ditchlights maybe the last thing I have to do since I have to modify the pilot a bit... 

Also is any one here able to make decals? 

I could really use new KCS logos since USA Trains didn't do enough research on 1906... 

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4019405

I attached a couple of photos when I purchased the Gp38, and threw in my N scale GP22Eco as a size reference... Yes N is that small! :D

3AC643A2-4A19-4AC4-BEF5-9883410FA08E_zps64ghmhjl.jpg

036551BB-8D50-41E1-9BA8-3AD0B74A2069_zps7x8cbuxc.jpg

Are you still looking for sound? And are you comfortable with wiring? DCC sound decoders are nice because the sounds should be in sync with the motors. There's nothing wrong with a Phoenix+Airwire setup (I would say this is by far the most popular combination) but the sound isn't as impressive as what I get from my QSI Titan decoders. Unfortunately QSI Titans are currently unavailable, but I've heard that ESU V4.0 has even better sound for diesels. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclSLshZw7MLwqJP91JH1ew  And if you want to use battery instead of DCC through the rails, you can get a CVP Convertr or Tam Valley Depot "DRS1 HiPower" receiver (basically a wireless DCC booster) and use an Airwire throttle to run any DCC decoder.

At some point I would love to do sound, I am also confident that I can hardwire a Loksound decoder in the GP38-2, after all I have hardwired loksound micros in N scale locomotives before. :D G scale should be a breeze. 

Now my concern is if my MRC Prodigy Advance2 can power it... Don't really need smoke, but it'd be nice... 

But for right now I'd like to be able to pick up some more modern Rolling stock before I get to that point, so just finding a better DC throttle is preferable at this point... Ya know better than than the Bmann controller... 

Also I got the parts in today, and did some test fitting, though the mirrors will most likely stay where they are at... And need to be painted Red... 

For the cut lever bar, all I did was bend it in a few places and I don't mind how it looks, other than needing to be painted black... 

I still have to figure out how to modify the pilot for ditch lights... And MU hose... And the weird plow not plow that KCS used... 

Oh yeah I also shortened the chain a bit, maybe a bit too short... But I like how this looks compared to the stock version... 

Other things I need to do is move the horn to the hood just behind the dynamic brake blister, get the right decals for the nose and side of the cab, and figure out what is on the roof of the cab of the prototype, and copy it on the model. I may end up adding brake pipes to the brake cylinders on the trucks as well. 

So yeah that's all I have for now... I think anyway... 

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

• 1 month later...

Did a little more work to the KCS GP38-2... 
I added stripes to the handrails.
But they are thicker than the prototype... not as even either, but it gets the point across.
Used Great Planes Kwick Stripe 1/16" width. Seems like decent stuff, pretty easy to work with as well.

Sorry for the crappy photo... on a different phone... has a 5MP camera... blasted burner phones... 5MP?!? Its 2017... at least give us 8MP, that should be standard on a $50 android... (was on all of my Windows Phones...) what year is this? 2010? Blah! 

[/rant] 

When I get a better phone again I will retake the shot... 

20171020_223853.jpg

That GP38-2 is coming along great!

Here's an Aristo Dash-9 that was custom painted years ago by a Mike Roberts?? by KC, Missouri. I bought it online and did a bunch of work to it as was a bit neglected. Number boards missing, detail parts knocked off etc. Lowered it and added MTH ProtoSounds to it. Raymond owns it now.

It's a one of as Aristo did make some KCS Dash-9's but the colors were way off. The red isn't vibrant as it's more pinkish. When Lewis was asked why on his forum he replied something about that being the only red color available. When asked again why at the same time the BNSF Warbonnet Dash-9's had the right color red and why it wasn't used for the KCS ones he didn't answer.

002.thumb.JPG.317cfeba3e105fd91fd0b6684b65e1e9.JPG

Man that C44-9 is pretty! 

May have to bug Raymond about it... see if he still wants it. :Smiling_Devil_Emoji_large(24x24):

Wonder how they did the handrails... wrapping mine took almost two hours.

Though i was thinking of renumbering the 38 instead of trying to get all the logos printed... probably easier to renumber it to 1917, as i cant find many photos of 1906 and alot of details are wrong for that unit. Ah well.