My backyard layout by Robert Brown

rbrown7713

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is going to be so amazing, the visual of all those arches is awe  inspiring. I can relate to setbacks. Keeps raining here so I can't do any work on the dirt/rocks inside the walls. Did have one day with no rain and I put down a gravel path around it, so that helps.

• 5 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Hi there Bob and happy new year!

I hadn't followed this post since its promissing begining what an acheivement! Keep it up and you will have a great track to operate on. I have used concrete base since 1978 wit success and rather light maintenance. true I once had a very big issue with: You guessed it: Roots! One lilac tree that used to provide good shade to the depot erea grew a root between the foundations of the loco steaming bays which is a cinder block concrete structure complet with the turntable pit. There was a wooden bridge on the near end of this structure, and for a few years I had to shave off from one centimeter to an inch of the bridges length, I couldn't understand why? Then I realised that the radius of the curve where this engine terminal wa situated seemed to go bezirks, actually dipping out near the center of the curve. So one day I dug out the landfill around that part (it makes it look like Horseshoe curve like the fill on burgoon run) and sure enough at the base of the engine terminal structure there grew a root about two inches in diameter corresponding to what I had to cut out of the bridge over the years and to what had taken the curve out of alignment. I dug it out and killed the lilac tree, and never had an issue since. So beware of roots if using concret. That loco depot is a concrete structure about Four yards by two in places, imagine the force of that one root! The layout looks better without the treen now since it is all visible at one glance, but I miss the shade... Plenty of other lilacs all around  here they grow like weeds. The photos give a before and after story. The middle one is just to show the size of that concrete structure!

P1030375.JPG

DSC00683.JPG

DSC00664.JPG

Hello, it's nice to hear from you.  Well, just 7 sections to go and about a 5 foot straight section, probably a removable bridge so that I can get to the center of the layout with a mower or other tools.  Yes, I have trees near the layout, but so far no problems.  This layout will weigh about 18,000 lbs. when finished.  I might call it the 9 ton railway.  Talk to you soon, Bob.

• 1 month later...

Another update.  Only 5 more sections to pour and then will have to figure out what to do about a 5 foot straight section.  Want it to be light weight for easy removal.  Almost there.  Well then there is track laying.  Has anyone laid 10 foot radius track without pre- bending the track?  If I do that what will be the downside? Bob.

IMG_1679.JPG