My backyard layout by Robert Brown

rbrown7713

I agree.  I am figuring out how to wire this thing. Do you have booster wires throughout the layout, or do you depend on the track carrying the power?  I ohmed the track and it seems that I have to jump the ends of the switches to make this thing work. Bob.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, I have a small electric track, ran a 'spine' the length of the run with 8 wire, both poles.   Every 25' or so soldered a smaller gauge wire to  it and then connect the track with a rail clamp and solder less connection.  Been over 10  years and haven't had a problem so far.  SS Rail with sides stained. LiG

DSCN1024.JPG

I used the Norms dual track bender and surprised at how smooth the bending occurred.  Very easy to use and after a few trial and error bends found the correct setting, worked very well, Bob.

IMG_1802.JPG

I have been using a Train-li dual track bender the last few years, really like it. Had a single rail bender before. I cut the ends of the long rail off after bending a curve, makes it easier to do repairs later. Used to try and save rail by threading it to the next tie strip, what a pain!  Not really worth it. I have about 150' on the mainline, Two connections about 75' apart. Works fine. I used the conductive grease also on metal clamps, either SVRR or some old Hillmans. I don't like Split Jaw ones.

The TE is simple. power up, power down , reverse , all stop , this unit goes between the power unit and the track, so I would say yes...

The new version is the Crest Revolution

Shoot or call Don Sweet as he is a vender and very knowledgeable  about such things https://www.rcsofne.com/

Jerry, I know that you use Sunset Valley track, so have you came up with a jig to make assy. faster?  The way that I am doing it is too slow, as I have many sections to put together. Bob.

OK, here is a little jig that I just made and it is a little faster and much easier to thread the rails through the ties.  One main move is to grind the ends of the rails to a wedge so that the rails slide through easier.  Works good, much faster than the way that I was doing it. Bob.

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

I thought about stretching this jig out to six feet, but I would have to stand to thread them, so this way I can sit and watch TV as I am assembling them.  They do go through the ties much faster and easier. After this 200 ft., I have another 300 ft. to go.  Maybe I will make a 6 ft. jig, we'll see how it goes, Thanks, Bob.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:36 PM, rbrown7713 said:

Will the Aristo train engineer control mth locos?

It will but the only function you'll have is direction. The TE will not access any of the MTH functions. Be just like operating a MTH loco under conventional DC track power. 

Infact there is quite a bit of proof that the TE is detrimental to the MTH DCS decoders.

Thanks Chuck.  I have settled on the MTH DCS Explorer.  It will allow a bell, whistle, direction, speed control, lights, and that's all that I need.  The main advantage is the TIU is not needed and the Explorer module is smaller, easier to install for battery power. Thanks, Bob.

Grsman, You and I both talked me into making a 6 ft. jig.  I thought about what I said, having to assemble 150 more ft. this time and for the next order another 300 feet, made me realize that the 6 ft. jig is a good idea, will post some pics. on the making of it, Bob.