My backyard layout by Robert Brown

rbrown7713

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it has an antennae, so appears to be a radio signal, it operates with wifi, and a downloaded app. for my smart phone, not like the other infra red system.  Someone said that the antennae is not needed, I will try that, as I don't want an antennae sticking out.. Bob.

Well, I spent the last 4 hours, buying the wood and cutting it and putting it together and it seems that it will work very good.  When threading the rails though, gets a little stiff toward the end, so I will try WD-40, like Jerry said.  Needs some lubricant.  Took about 4 hours to build, but will save about 50 hrs. I believe. Here are some pictures. Bob.

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

First things first, as I wanted to make it easy to slide the rails through the ties, which it does, and then, most likely when I lay the track, some trimming of the rails will be necessary and that problem will be eliminated. Bob.

I have all of the 200 ft. of rail threaded onto the ties, so today I am going to lay 3 switches and start start laying the track in  the switch yard, so pretty soon.  BTW, the jig for the track sure made the work easier and faster. Bob.

Also, if anyone is interested in building the jig for threading the rails onto the ties, here are the sizes of the pieces of wood that I laid between the ties.   I bought the wood at Lowes and I used the 1/4 in. Poplar, which is actually around .240 and the width between the ties is around .400 in., and the length is about, 1.3. It takes 190 of them.  Just some notes.  The tie strips have two points on them with flashing that either have to be shaved off or they will not go into the jig, or the way I did it is locate each tie on the jig that these exist and shave the wood in all 12 spots, therefore not having to shave each tie strip.  With these measurements, the tie strips fit tight into the slots, and sometimes because of the way the strips came out of the mold, a little fitting with a chisel is necessary to force the tie strips down into the slots, didn't happen many times.  You have to make sure that the strips lay all the way down in the jig, or your rails will stop at that point.  Also, I feed the rails into the strips about 2/3's of the way and then use pliers to pull the rails the rest of the way.  It would probably be better to fasten the jig to a table and then pull the rails through and I will probably do that for the remaining 300 ft. that I will do next month.  Any questions, please ask.  This sure makes it easier. Bob.

Can anyone tell me the cons of using the slide-on connectors for outside track. I am thinking about using them because of the large temp. changes here in Florida.  If I use the split clamps, they wouldn't allow for expansion and contraction like the slide-ons.  Any experiences would be appreciated, Bob.

I don't know what you mean by wiggle room, but these are Sunset Valley connectors and fit very tight with a lot of contact area, probably more than the clamp ons.  Here is my theory.  My track will be trapped inside the edges of the concrete viaduct sides, so, any expansion, if using clamps might cause the track to distort and lift.  When I lay the track, I will assemble in the heat of the day when the rail is to the max expansion.  When it cools the rails will be allowed to slip at the connections.  Then when it heats up again, it will be allowed to  expand back to the original size.  Here is Florida, the temp. varies from 30 to 100 degrees.  This is the same idea as a full size RR. with welded rail.  They come in 1/4 mile lengths and then  heated, with electricity, to an equivalent temp of the highest temp. of the day in that area, and then welded and when it cools, the rails are under tension, and allowed to shrink in the cool temp., still under tension.  That is why, when it gets hot, the tracks don't  deform. The only difference with mine is that the rails will slip at the connectors.  Here are some pictures, also here is my idea of a soft train stop.

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

Defiantly better than a brick.... You described wiggle room .. on the USA track etc. the connector is screwed to the rail , but the connector is slotted @ one end were the other screw goes...." wiggle room "

Please send me a picture of the USA item that you are talking about, I have never seen that type of clamp,  sorry your explanation is still not clear to me. " Defiantly better than a brick"? What does that mean?

• 2 weeks later...

bac94657.jpg

Bob can you see the slot .. a screw goes in it and the connector slides on the crew " wiggle room " USA 's track comes with the connector attached to one side already , the other end is the slot.. :Thinking_Face_Emoji_large(24x24): Does this make sense..

There are 2 manufacturers of rail clamps,  Split Jaw Products Inc, and Hillmanns.    The grease I found on line but I believe it is also available in some auto stores.  The tube split and make a black mess so I don't have it any more. Don't use the older grease we used to use on automobile lamps and sockets, doesn't conduct as well.   LiG