My backyard layout by Robert Brown

rbrown7713

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, for all of your encouragement over the last few years, I appreciate it. OK, after 2 years and 8 months, I made one circuit with the E-8 and cars.  I have one glitch with a switch, other than that, it went good.  I will be posting a video when I get all of the ballast in and secure. Just one of the tracks is laid and I am working on the other, need more track. Bob.

IMG_1948.JPG

Well, tragedy has struck my track laying.  Today it was hot and  after laying track and ballasting it on a cool day, I discovered that the track has expanded so much that it lift some of the track out of the ballast, so back to the drawing board. Bob.

Here has what I have learned about using the slide-on track connectors.  I provided gaps when installing the connectors. On the hot day, when the track expanded, the gaps were still there.  The connectors are so tight, no expansion occurred at the joints. So, it doesn't make any difference if you have a gap or not, the expansion occurs throughout the whole track and not absorbed by the connector gap in the track.  You would think that the gaps would shrink and keep the track from popping out of the ballast, but that did not happen, the track expanded with the gaps still in place. Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

In the past I used (2) of those 6" tracks with the slider rails *half rails that slid in contraction or expansion.  Sorry, do not have a pic right now (might have been Aristo), and now that I am off the ground, track ties are screwed to the white plastic trim board.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, problem solved.  I used Paypal.  The supplier in Germany told me to use Veem for overseas money transfer.  As it turns out, after signing up with Veem and getting an approval from them, they canceled my account from Veem.  They said, after taking all of my information, that they don't service private parties, only businesses.  I wish they had told me that in the first place.  I have my order in and should get them soon.   BTW, don't use Veem.

• 1 month later...

Yes Sean, it was worth the hassle.  I can't think of any other way to handle the heat expansion of the tracks without using these track expansion sections, should work well.  I am waiting for some adapter connectors from SSVR, they had to make some more.  These expansion sections are code 332 and my tracks are code 250.  Bob.

IMG_1968.JPG