My backyard layout by Robert Brown

rbrown7713

Thank you very much.  Most creative things that I do fall into two catagories.  Either necessity, to make things easier or, making something new, that is a challenge.  You can see some of my endeavors on YouTube, channel:  omiateeful,  or Robert Brown.  I put my the videos on YouTube because, most of the time, I can't remember what projects that I have done.  Thanks again. Bob.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my trying to revive the batteries didn't work.  I only charged at 2 amps and after inspecting after about 4 hours, the ammeter was going ballistic and the battery was very hot, so I will have to buy new batteries. Bob.

I have spent the last few days preparing to pour the molds.  I had more to do than I had realized.  The tops of the viaducts have a railing on both sides, higher than the track section, so I made a form, a 1/2 inch piece of plywood to form the railings on either side.  This made it very easy to finish the concrete because the only area that I have to tend to is the top of the railings, about 3/4 of an inch by the length of the viaduct.  As I install the plywood form, I tap on it hopefully making contact with the underlying concrete to make it smooth, we shall see.  As the concrete dries and continuing to finish it, it should make a nice piece, I will know tomorrow.  I also installed two pieces of 3/8ths rebar length wise for strength, as I plan to manipulate the top before it is fully cured, have to get moving before the 112 bags of Sakrete goes bad.  I mixed 3 60lb. bags and it made one 150 lb. top and two 15 lb. columns.  This was a test.  From now on, I will pour two tops and four columns a day.  Should be done by the year 2025. Here are some pictures. Bob.

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

The fact that you are making such a solid RR, is impressive. I am guilty of slapping stuff together to get things done many times. That of course, requires going back much sooner to address issues that pop up.

I liked what Dennis S from Arizona shared about making solid roadbeds that help get the RR smooth and keep it that way. This kind of effort pays off in the long run.

I need to make a new bigger track plan as a goal to work towards.

Here is the first pour of the arches and it came out good, with the exceptions of the the railing that failed in certain spots, but that will add a little oldness to it.  I am afraid to try to lift it until it cures a little more, but I will try to pour one a day, but it is a possibility that I will have to wait two days. Bob.

IMG_0889.JPG

Jerry, that guy is a builder, that is for sure.  Good stuff.  Joe, yes, takes 28 days to fully cure.  I have to balance the cure time against my bags of concrete going bad.  I de molded the top piece and detached it from the bottom of the mold and it seemed strong, so I will be able to make one a day, I am convinced.  Had to redo the top portion of the mold as it was coming out of the piece hard, so this should be better, so will try to make two large pieces tomorrow, a straight and a curved and some columns. Bob.

I figured you'd know about concrete.

I would think that some kind of board support to help move the piece while still green would help.

I can't picture bags of concrete going bad so fast that a few days would matter. With all you have to do I guess we are talking about a much larger amount of time.

I wonder if you could repair the railing area while still green, if you were interested?

Yes, the inside of the rail is backed up by a piece of plywood and I cut an angle such that I thought was enough for easy release, but I was wrong.  When I tried to remove the form,  it broke some of the railing, so I immediately back filled it with mortar and it worked, but still, because of the shallow angle, it still pulled off some of the rail.  I have since, increased the angle, so that I don't think that I will have any more problems with that.  I started with about 2 degrees and now it is about 15.  I have separated the bottom of the mold from the piece and it separated easily, so I am good to go. Bob.

This is first time I have two curved sections together and the other picture is of the recess that will be used to join together after alignment  by filling with mortar. I might have to use some mortar for leveling, I don't know yet.  I will only be able to pour one section every two days because of cure time.  I am also pouring the straight sections to be used at a later date.  I only have 18 sections of those, so that will only work for a few days. Bob.

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

I try to keep the mixer close to the molds and forms.  Everything that I have is mobile, so is not a problem, I think that is what you meant.  The reason that I built the tractor is that I will be having extra straight arches that have to be put in a place out of the way and requires moving, so that is the reason for the tractor.  I am not there yet. Bob.