Switching to G scale

Suncoasttrains

So I run O scale Mth now but am thinking of going to G scale.  I know mth and dcs with one guage but what is out there that works well system wise and what is interchangeable as far as locos and systems  i know some G scale will work with mrc prodigy. Advice please.

Well? The newest MTH G scale engines have DCC onboard. As far as other brands, you can have the MTH boards installed in most of them so they will have the same capabilities.

Look at Ray's site and the upgrade pages to see.

http://www.rayman4449.com/

and

http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH/Service_Repair_PS-Upgrades_One-Gauge.htm

I dont know about LGB engines and what they may be pre-equipped with but Aristocraft and USA Trains don't have control systems pre-installed.  Some USA Trains steamers have Phoenix sound (sound only, no control/DCC) installed.  Updated: ** I wasn't aware of any direct drop in for control boards on USA Trains engines (Steam or diesel), without manually changing the wiring but Chuck just let me know that Airwire is supposed to have some sort of drop in board available but I dont know the details.  (Protosound can be installed in all USA Trains engines)  Aristocraft had some engines with a socket on the main board that would accept some certain DCC boards and provided basic control of the engine.(but of course Aristocraft is out of business). MTH in One Gauge is like in O gauge where the engine is pre-installed with full sound, lights, control and pulsed smoke so there's nothing to have done and engines equipped with PS3 (all current production) all have DCC capability.  All prior production MTH One Gauge had PS2 (Protosound 2) installed and can be upgraded to PS3 to give you DCC control.  

If you are currently running MTH in O gauge (I assume with the DCS control system) then it would seem natural to go with Protosound/DCS in G scale.

Thankyou so much.  Mth has nothing new and I can promise you they are focused on HO scale as they had an HO meltdown recently and are busy with that. O scale especially premiere is there big push all the time. The service department is constantly backlogged .. i just don't what I will do at this point.

MTH is revamping the GS-4 with die cast metal frame and other enhancements as noted in the thread.  MTH is involved with many scales not just one or two.  O gauge is what MTH started in so you would expect that to be their biggest product line outside of HO.  HO and O gauge are much larger markets than G.   Those concerned about service department wait-times should be buying from dealers that do their own service work in-house.

Right.. Preciat it. I'm actually an mth dealer and service center. I was at the mth technical school last year.. I was very observant of things and there was no G scale much at all. Never any mention of G scale in our meetings. Ofcourse the market drives there business so it's understandable. Not everyone has the space or money for large scale.