1:29th Scale track

nscaler711

So I understand that the 45mm track is too narrow for 1:29th scale Trains, and I see a lot of people hacking up their 29th stuff to scale it down to 1:32, so my question is, wouldn't it be easier to widen the track gauge to better match the scale? I know of course you would also have to widen the gauge of all axles on any train but that seems a bit more feasible from some of the cars and locos I have looked at... but I could be totally wrong here. 

If anything it is just a thought, that has probably been addressed already but I haven't really seen any about it... 

I had thought about handlaying track in the future and thought it would be easier to tackle that way... 

it seems that MTH is probably the strongest contestant in G scale and they are definitely a good choice when it comes to transition era. But it seems USA trains (and the now deceased) Aristo have the market in Modern era trains and they only offer 1:29... 

Just a lot of random thoughts... 

Just to fully explain for anyone reading, the 45mm track width is the same track that is used for all 1:32 and 1:29 scale engines.  The 45mm width is technically the correct width for 1:32 scale trains.  A 1:29 scale train is 1:29 in scale for everything except the wheel width so it can run on 45mm track.  

The use of the 45mm rail would go back to the first companies that started using that rail for Garden railroads (I have to assume it was for engines and rolling stock produced in 1:32).  Other companies that would come along to make 1:29 would want to make sure their trains ran on the existing track as opposed to trying to convince the existing customer base to switch over to a new track and rebuild their layouts... To try and require a different track would likely mean low or no adoption to the different 1:29 scale.

Can't go wrong with buying whatever USA Trains track you need straight from charlesro.com or ebay, as well as buying aristocraft track on ebay as well. I've had excellent results getting new and used track. With Ray's explanation of track needs, it doesn't seem like you'll have any issues at all running whatever 1:32 or 1:29 G scale you want; the only hitches will be whether you run battery, DCC, or track power.

I don't suppose I was clear, I understand why the gauge is what it is, I was asking as to why people don't adjust the gauge of the track and trucks of locomotives and rolling stock instead of cutting up perfectly good trains to scale them down to 1:32... granted a lot looks great... just a theory I have...

I personally build in 1/32 scale. I really haven't chopped up anything yet. I looked at what was available and chose to. I have 1/29 scale stuff as well. I mix them in freight trains all the time. When I did that with passenger stuff, I was amazed at the difference. It forced me into a decision towards the future. So I find it much easier to go with 1/32 scale. I bought a few Accucraft passenger cars in 1/32. I wish I could afford some of the finer models that have been built over the years. I wouldn't have the guts to change their gauge.

You won't find much modern stuff in 1/20 so the choice is much easier. There are many running what they refer to as narrow gauge with the older eras. I just prefer to model modern stuff that runs right now on the real tracks.

USA and even Aristo made some fine modern models. After investing much time and energy into them, I prefer MTH's drive train. So the others will get cut down to 1/32 if I ever feel the need to. For now, I just run them as is.

I'd admire you if you took heavier gauge rail and went thru the effort of widening the gauge to 1/29. I like the Aristo 332 stainless rail I have for how tuff it is. I drive my mower over it and the grandkids step on it all the time. I do enjoy looking at many modelers overseas that use finer rail profiles. It looks very nice. I hope it holds up for them.

1 hour ago, enginear joe said:

I personally build in 1/32 scale. I really haven't chopped up anything yet. I looked at what was available and chose to. I have 1/29 scale stuff as well. I mix them in freight trains all the time. When I did that with passenger stuff, I was amazed at the difference. It forced me into a decision towards the future. So I find it much easier to go with 1/32 scale. I bought a few Accucraft passenger cars in 1/32. I wish I could afford some of the finer models that have been built over the years. I wouldn't have the guts to change their gauge.

You won't find much modern stuff in 1/20 so the choice is much easier. There are many running what they refer to as narrow gauge with the older eras. I just prefer to model modern stuff that runs right now on the real tracks.

USA and even Aristo made some fine modern models. After investing much time and energy into them, I prefer MTH's drive train. So the others will get cut down to 1/32 if I ever feel the need to. For now, I just run them as is.

I'd admire you if you took heavier gauge rail and went thru the effort of widening the gauge to 1/29. I like the Aristo 332 stainless rail I have for how tuff it is. I drive my mower over it and the grandkids step on it all the time. I do enjoy looking at many modelers overseas that use finer rail profiles. It looks very nice. I hope it holds up for them.

I suppose I get that, I just want to say it is not my intention of being rude about this I am just genuinely curious as to why people haven't tried it. I mean I am new to G scale, so I don't understand the the dynamics yet. 

I dont know in my head it would make sense to widen the gauge then trying to cut and refit pieces... but I'm lazy and definitely not as skilled as you guys. 

Someday I would love to hand lay track in g scale, and figure out what I need to widen the gauges too, and if it's possible to pull the axles on some locomotives and widen those as well. Trucks may be easier to do.... well ones with split axles I suppose.  

But for now my G scale will be limited to temporary set ups due to that apartment life :D

(none of my work is admirable so be prepared to be disappointed ;) )

I didn't take any question as being rude at all.

I think I might attempt to hand lay track for indoor use. I tried it outside and I'll say that it didn't hold up in this climate. My bridge tracks have the ties constantly coming loose and the overall build isn't holding up.

There are guys in O scale that go with P48 I believe it's called. It's their way of fixing the out of gauge track in O scale. I never saw the need to go thru all that work. I do admire what they build and how accurate it looks.

I guess we all have to decide what we will accept. The biggest thing in G scale besides the costs, are the amount of work needed to get different brands to work together. That alone takes most of my energy!