indoor vs outdoor track

Amopower

Hi all,

I am starting a garden layout and looking for track to get it started. I want to get it right the first time and not make mistakes. Looking to ebay for some deals, but worried about a few things.

Do i need to worry about indoor versus outdoor track? Is it all not compatible to be used outside?

Should i stick with a well known brand that has all the possible track types i may ever want in the future (for compatibility). I.e. if i ever want to have turnouts, then should u stick only with manufacturers who make turnouts?

thanks

Scott

Your best bet is code 250 rail, it comes in many metals. SVRR  makes it and I've had it for over 20 years. If you plan on track power, go with the stainless or NS.  LGB/USA/Ariso track is all code 332 which makes your trains look like toys, in my humble opinion. I've never had my bent by anyone stepping on it, which  is the argument many bring up.  SVRR has the best switches/throws also, even the air system to throw switches if you are so inclined. Good guy to deal with also.

https://www.sunsetvalleyrailroad.com/

For an outdoor layout, you're definitely going to want a hardy track that can stand up to the elements. Brass code 332 is a good all around track, but the major drawback to brass is that it WILL tarnish over time, and it does need to be cleaned periodically, especially if you have rolling stock with blackened metal wheels; eventually enough of that will wear off the sides and bottoms of your wheels to leave a residue that can interrupt a clean flow of power to your locomotives if you're using track power. Brass is magical indoors, but for outdoor... yes, you can definitely use it, but stainless steel or another recommended metal from a veteran outdoor operator would be better.

Thanks all. I think i will go with stainless then, sounds like less maintenance, although a bit pricier and harder to find.

Would it be more realistic to go with all flex track and make my own curves as needed? I see one site has 72' worth for $679, but i cant tell what Code it is. (it's American Main Line).

I am going to tag along here, 

what about Aluminum track? 

And what can be done to it to look closer to tarnished brass? Or would I be better off painting the rails? 

I have a decent amount of Aristo Aluminum track but cannot for the life of me find any turnouts from them or code 332 Aluminum anywhere (with out selling an organ to buy them) I had thought of handlaying a couple but even my attempts in N scale was horrible... 

i have also read that stainless steel and aluminum don't mix well so I have avoided some deals I have seen on feebay.

Thanks!

Nscaler - I remember reading somewhere that turnouts for an otherwise all aluminum layout are usually stainless or NS. This is because the aluminum is softer and the frog takes a beating from the wheelsets and so the turnout becomes defective within a year or so, depending on how much use it would get.

• 1 year later...

All trackwork and switches here are Aristo - Code 332 brass, with some USA style ties and others European ties.  I do have a couple of Aristo stainless steel switches which, as they look so different, are relegated to a yard.  The track has stood up well to careless feet and dogs!

When I built the railroad, some fifteen years ago, I laid a single track across a main concrete path.  I was dubious about setting the track into the patch as I was not sure about the depth of the concrete and the track was protected, either side, by a lumber door threshold.

Both of us are now a little older - sight and balance not as good so I decided the track has the be set into the concrete.  It is quite warm and humid this morning but at least there is heavy cloud obscuring direct sunshine so a start has been made cutting out a channel for the track.  At least my wife is happy even if it is laborious work for an old guy.:Smiling_with_Sweat_Emoji_large(24x24):

A bonus, I guess, for outdoor railways is that there is always maintenance and revisions to be done and . weather permitting, at least keeps me from lethargy and a not too large a waistline. :Wink_Emoji_large(24x24):