R/C on a G5

Screwy Nick

First thing was to find the smallest receiver I could since it would be mounted in the loco cab. Search brought me to a Fuituba 3 channel unit. Got a transmitter and receiver for just over $100. first order of business was to modify the transmitter as described in Issue 63 of SiTG authored by Peter Thornton. This described removing the centering spring and adding a wiper so the right stick could stay in what ever position you left it in. 
Locomotive: Used velcro to hold the receiver in place and a slice of insulation to give it a little protection from the heat of the boiler. The throttle servo is pretty much standard. The servo for the direction bar is mounted on the outside rear of the cab and the bar goes through a slot above the window. 
Tender: I used a NI rechargeable battery, it is in a plastic bag sealed with silicone to protect it from water since it is in the tender water bath, the water level is just below the battery top. Cut a slot from the tender so the power wire could make the connection with the receiver. The pic of them coupled was taken on 8' diameter sectional track with the direction servo in the reverse position, still plenty of room. All suggestions for improvement will be greatly appreciated.

DSCN0935.JPG

DSCN0936.JPG

DSCN0931.JPG

DSCN0932.JPG

DSCN0934.JPG

Testing on rollers in the utility room with a strong exhaust fan everything worked just fine, yesterday on the outside layout the directional servo failed. I THINK the transmitter is still sending a signal to the servo even thought the directional bar is full in the desired direction. I'll have to use the stethoscope to listen to the servo when the transmitter is in full direction.

Followup: It seems at times one or both of the servos would receive an errant signal and start to hum and vibrate. I don't know what to think, any advice please. I moved the pressure gauge to the rear of the cab and slid a Radio Link receiver into the cab area. I used more insulation than the Futuba as it is also a tighter fit. I am concerned with longivity but the servo's don't hum or vibrate any more. Also painted a red stripe on the back of the site glass so it is easier to read. Happy with this and tests on rollers are positive. Weather permitting I will put it on the track later today or tomorrow. LG

DSCN0944.JPG

DSCN0945.JPG

DSCN0943.JPG