DCS - Explorer Track Interface Unit w/Wifi (50-1035)

Update 03/28/18:  See main topic for latest information:  

MTH has announced a new Wi-fi hardware device, the DCS - Explorer Track Interface Unit w/Wi-fi built-in.  

- New WiFi Hardware: DCS - Explorer Track Interface Unit w/Wi-Fi built-in (50-1035) - $129.95 MSRP

- Availability date: Nov 2017

- Control your trains via Wi-Fi with your smart device (phone/tablet)

- Will not require TIU or WIU and will be like a TIU and WIU combined with a more limited feature set.

- Expect this will be the device that One Gauge battery operators have been waiting for.

50-1035-Info.jpg.8f706eb3d8b751b40cd971bdc828fa0a.jpg

I wonder what its dimensions are.  It looks pretty big judging by the size of the wire connectors and the antenna. It might pose problems getting it to fit in a tender.  Then there is that antenna.  Could it be concealed by bending it down or replaced with a wire, or will it stick up through a hole in the tender top?

Also, will it be possible to use a single phone or tablet to run a battery loco at the same time as a track powered DCS loco, or would you need a separate phone or tablet?

Good questions.  Based on what I'm seeing from the photo I think it could be adapted to fit inside a 1/32 scale tender and be positioned so the antenna fits as well.  

Chuck has shared that the DCS Explorer TIU will have it's own dedicated App.  Not sure if the Explorer will be able to link to an existing wifi network or have to use the Wifi network it creates.  Was also noted that it will be some time before this is available.

I will share more as I find out but this is the extent to what is known at this time.  

I'm all for buying a few of these devices...mainly to experiment with battery powered PS3 loco's!

The DCS Explorer as pictured appears to use the same case as the existing WiFi module....which would make sense. I opened my module up and measured the pc card excluding all the ports as that stuff can be moved for remote mounting and it measured 4-7/8" long x 3-3/4" wide x like say 1/2" tall...easily fit into about any large scale loco or piece of rolling stock...which is great!

Battery powered DCS operational via wifi android device!!

I was looking into the new Airwire Convrtr 60 card which is basically a radio receiver/ DCC Command Booster rated at 6 amps for $138.00 list. That should be able to communicate with a PS3 locomotive board via DCC but needs a Airwire Throttle to work the thing...for an additional $159.00...and no technology available for wifi capability...for an investment of $297 and another operating system to learn...not for me. Plus the wiring involved to switch from track power to battery power easily and DCS to DCC.

I'd much rather use the DCS Explorer for $129.95 list price and stay with the same DCS operating system via wifi & android device! Just 1 switch needed to cut from track power to battery...and off you go!  Yeah I'm sold!!

Just have to wait patiently until this fall when the Explorer will probably ship :)  

• 7 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ray. I am a new member currently running an MTH Hudson from a battery within the tender but without use of DCS of course. Did your install of the DCS Explorer use an on board battery or a conventional track powering please/

Jack

• 2 years later...

I installed the Explorer in my one gauge Challenger.  Easy hook up.  2 wires in and 2 wires out.  It fit easily into the tender.  Antenna was no problem.  I fit the wifi in the tender and the batteries, of course this a large tender. Everything works well.  I might use this item in the FAM T1 as well, if I should decide to do so. Bob.

I am cautioning that when one uses the explorer to control the speed control of the loco., be very careful where you touch the screen on the phone as the speed control may go to full speed instantly.  This happened to me and because of my sloppiness of touching the screen, evidently I touched it in the wrong place, so, disaster can occur if one is not paying attention. Bob.

I want to clarify what I said about the speed control on the explorer.  There is a plus and minus mark on the screen and if you use those, it will accelerate or decelerate as long as your finger is on the plus or minus marks, but if you touch the speed indicator, that too will instantly accelerate or or decelerate the loco. so, evidently, I touched the needle on the speed indicator arrow to accelerate to full speed, that is why I said to be very careful where you put your finger.  As long as you use the plus and minus, you will be fine. Bob.