Superliners for my P42's

rbrown7713

I recently won on Trainz two superliner cars, a lounge and a coach which I will use for future creations.  These are the 24 inch models and not the 85 foot scale ones.  In the future, they will be 85 foot scale cars.  They have full interiors, but no bathrooms, I don't know where i am going to go.  So, here are some pictures. Bob.

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

I was surprised that you bid on those, in a way. They look so short next to your engines. I know you will fix that. Maybe it will be easier with these cars to help make molds?

I didn't know if it would be better to start from scratch?

I was shocked that the engines on the auction looked longer than the ones I see for sale elsewhere.

I couldn't bid on anything. I'm still wondering about the superliners being built on another post here on this forum.

My idea is to stretch them and paint them with the metallic paint that they have now to make them look polished and maybe make some trucks for them, but that is way in the future, I have my hands full right now.  Ralph Brown did a good job on these. Bob.

I seen those too! Glad you won them!

Ray Shoop had the only 3' versions that Ralph Brown ever made.

Joe, I didn't notice those F40's were the long ones?? I shoulda looked more closely as those are rare too!  

Sorry to hear that.  Was he called Rooster?  Rooster built some nice Superliners, but they were 1:29, I believe. OK, I will have to do it the hard way, molds, cutting, etc. I will have to get busy to finish everything that I want to do before I pass.  At 72, I better work quickly. Bob.

I believe that these are the only 85' scale models that Ralph Brown made aside from some parts.  I have been examining his models and he used some tricks that I have never thought of, for example, the roof of the lounge was made of clear plastic and the glass was masked for the clear areas.  Also, the window frames were stamped thin aluminum with rivet dimples, cut with a die and then glued on with contact cement.  The roof was either extruded clear plastic, from the marks that I see, or bent with heat after it was extruded.  If anyone has any info., that would be neat. Bob.

Well Ray got those 85' cars from Ralph's estate years ago and yes they were the only ones made. Great Trains/ American Standard was in business for only like the mid 80's to the mid 90's. Crystal Lake, IL. is where they were located. Ray Shoop was working up the history on them.  Back in that era everybody was using say 4' radius curves hence only the short cars and locos went into production.

Great Trains also made some 1:32 scale 85' long passenger cars. Was a guy on eBay selling a set of like 8 last fall with full interiors. Only set I ever seen.

http://forums.mylargescale.com/11-public-forum/8470-great-trainsa-information.html