Cab Forward tenders

Neil Robinson

A mate of mine is working on an Aristo Mallet to produce a Southern Pacific 4-8-8-2 cab forward.

It seems it'll have to be an AC4 or AC5 as the smokebox door needs to be clear of pumps.

As far as I can discover all examples of these two types had Vanderbilt tenders.

Does anyone know of an example of these early cab forwards having a straight sided tender?

Would it have been possible for a tender from a later series to be swapped with an earlier one?

Thanks Ray,

Sadly that's a later example with pumps on the smokebox "front".

AFAIK the AC4 and AC5 series were SP's only simple expansion cab forwards without pumps on the smokebox.

My mate's model has the air pumps and feedwater heater on the boiler sides and it would involve a lot of work to change this. The easiest option would be to change his flat sided tender to a Vanderbilt version unless I can find any evidence of an AC4 or AC5 running with a flat sided example.

On an allied topic does anyone know of a supplier of suitable model marker lights and number boards for this model?