MTH G Big Boy #4014 smoking whistle

enginear joe

Here's the smoke unit. I'm going to shorten the elements thinking maybe they are in too deep? They don't touch the bottom but I don't see anything else to try. Very week smoke output.

I saw a post that said the O scale triplex had a sound file fix to cure low smoke output.

If you want to delete these, that's fine by me.

017.JPG

020.JPG

2 hours ago, enginear joe said:

Ray, The hole to the smoking whistle is partially blocked.

I tried to message you but I couldn't attach a photo?

The whistle smoke routing tube has been broken and snapped off trying to removing it from the engine.  The part that is broken is the end that connects to the refill end above the smoke unit.  I inspected the tube itself and it was not cracked nor was there smoke leaking from it.

015.JPG.1dfcd69a6bec9ffb728cf8d70afdb4f6.thumb.JPG.0d5b760451dad4da8a10c653e2636272.JPG

I saw the whistle test video with the whistle plug removed and the air flow volume was good.  That shows any restriction at the smoke unit itself was minor if there was any affect.  The test video shows that if there is a restriction that could be improved it is at the whistle casting itself.

We wont see replacement parts available till the entire shipment of engines is delivered.

I will order replacement pipes in, but will be a little bit of time before they come in.

On the smoke unit element height of the main smoke unit, if there isn't standing fluid in the smoke unit reservoir but the wicks are wet and it still doesn't smoke well then that isn't the cause of thin smoke output thickness.

I broke that tube as I thought it was 2 pieces and tried to separate it. There were zip ties holding it together. It is also glued and the glue held very well. The nice thing about the way it broke, I was able to get a drill bit in there easily and make the hole larger.

I feel they should have made the smoke routing smoother so it traveled to the whistle better. Maybe an actual piece of round tubing with a Y or a T would be better? It's even tough to blow air thru it when the plug for filling is in place.

If the main unit doesn't improve, then I'd guess that it's in the programming?

a couple more pics of the smoke tube... partial blockage...I can't get the right focus.

the end glued right back on after I cleared the flash. Smokes better. I think a smoother flowing tube would be better to deliver the smoke.

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

I shortened the main smoke unit's elements around 5mm and they seem to provide more smoke now. I probably should have shortened them a little more? I like the idea of having them deeper in the unit to prevent charring the wick so much. I believe they were running cooler and that's why the smoke was so weak. I have to find the perfect balance.

I see what you are saying now, and would have never expected to see that at all.   I will get a stock ordered from MTH and send you a replacement when they come in.  Once all the engines are finished assembly overseas then MTH will have replacement parts in-stock so it will probably be a bit longer.  

Sadly, it was just some flashing I believe at that opening. I probably could have cleared it with anything. It appeared to be thicker.

I'm thinking the other end at the whistle should be a smoother curve like an elbow. It's more of a box or chamber. I'm guessing that the smoke does not flow thru it smoothly? The next time I take her apart, I will try a dremel in the opening or simply a direct tube straight to the whistle with an elbow there. I believe that this tube is restricting the flow.

We could guess at this all day long. I need to prove a better design.

On the right angle curves, in theory there might be some reduction but what you are showing there for a restriction will have far more impact.  I see this as degrees of improvement to get it where it's considered satisfactory and addressing that tube for sure will be the main focus.  I would not have expected to see that at all.

• 11 months later...

Here's a post about the Lionel Vision line Niagara. Half way down the page are more videos from the OP of the engine running on the track with the smoking whistle. Notice how much air (smoke) moves when the whistle blows.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/a-look-inside-the-new-vl-niagara?page=1

I hope there's a way to tune the whistle smoke on the MTH BB. It comes out of the fill hole when left open so much stronger than out of the actual whistle (hole).

I may try to make my own tube to connect the smoke unit to the whistle.

Well maybe if you wouldn't have broken the whistle smoke tube by improper disassembly (while under warranty) it would still be functioning properly??!!

I'll contact the webmaster as I feel your last reply should be moved to your original thread regarding the MTH Big Boy smoking whistle here... http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/1098-mth-g-big-boy-4014-smoking-whistle/

The reason I even looked at the smoke tube is because it was partially blocked. Not because I was bored or wished to take my brand new BB apart for kicks. If I feel that a reply is out of order, I do not make the reply. There are many times I've held back from your posts. I can only suggest you relook at the situation.

When I pay 1500 for an engine, I expect it to be right. I have learned to deal with all types of problems and people.

Okay Joe, so here's a thread titled MTH 2018 Catalog New Big Boys and for some reason you feel the need to derail the topic about a problem you created?? You took a brand new $1,500.00 locomotive that wasn't functioning correctly and instead of sending it back in for warranty work you took it upon yourself to "fix" it. So yes I would say that you were bored and took it apart for "kicks"...and broke it.

Real nice way to get newbies into the hobby...by complaining about new products...I wonder how many folks have been turned away from ordering new MTH Big Boys because of your recent whining posts?? Why don't you try something new..that is promoting the hobby!!  

I contacted Ray, who I purchased it from. There was no better part available or anything else he could do. I moved forward. It works better now than before. So what did I break?

The whistle smoke tube was partially blocked. It smokes better out of the fill hole than the actual whistle. 

looks like you win! You're a real winner!