A Train in the Yard start 5-15-2017

Larry Sr.

Hi all

Here I am again:D

Well I stripped the pond and started over, not once but twice. (Good Grief):huh:

I have bought and moved so many rocks but, I now have a nice small pond that is Eco friendly .

Fish, snails and plants. I actually have got into the pond stuff.:rolleyes:

I have run out of several different important items. I keep ordering and that costs me time. My poor planning is obvious to me at this point. The good thing is good old honey do’s fill in the down time.

I’m sure some of you know what I mean .:wub:

Picked up another ton and a half of crushed rock for standby fill in for leveling when needed.:(

I have installed over 200 split jaw clamps and just ordered another 100. They do go fast.

Been so hot I moved most of the work into shade. Been testing all the switches and cutting special fit pieces of track. I'm learning DC and the LGB switch and on/off boxes.

I have started some work on a stationary control panel and a portable panel  as well. More on that later. I know the portable one picture  looks like a total mess currently but it will get organized eventually.

Eventually the Transformers , TIU and other expensive items will be on this. That's for protection from weather.

Here are the most recent picture I took. Have a great weekend all.

Still alive and having fun.:D

Larry

PS and playing with the Triplex 2 8 8 8 2 with parts Ray sent me.;)

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

DSCN0491.JPG

DSCN0492.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

DSCN0495.JPG

DSCN0508.JPG

IMG_1261.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.   8-13-2017 up date :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

A little more progress, mostly on wiring the stationary console and the portable one as well

The idea :Thinking_Face_Emoji_large(24x24): is to roll the portable cart up the stationary console and by using 6 banana plugs and one 110 electrical plug have complete control of both the outer and inner loops as well as the accessories and track switches.:Flushed_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

All 110 electrical components will be plugged in on the inside of the portable cart. They will be protected and turned on and off by a remote power switch.

Within the next couple weeks (Based on Honey Do’s:Smiling_Face_with_Halo_large(24x24):) I hope to kick the tires and light a fire under a train.

Of course hopefully not a real fire.:(

Here is some pictures again.

Larry

DSCN0532.JPG

DSCN0530.JPG

DSCN0527.JPG

DSCN0524.JPG

DSCN0542.JPG

DSCN0535.JPG

DSCN0538.JPG

Quite a professional setup!  I sure could not do all that wiring.  On the pond, a UV filter is real important to keep the water clear and not green and replace the bulb once a year.  Don't ask me how I know this!  You will sure have fun with your layout.

Thanks Jerry.

Nothing professional here, just winging it on the fly .:Flushed_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

I do have a UV filter with extra bulbs for that exact problem.  I went through the green water thing already on this darn pond.:( This pond thing has been a real learning experience.

Larry

• 1 month later...

10-01-2017

Hi everyone.

Took a while off from Train in the Yard project.

Getting in too much of a hurry and making too many mistakes. :OMG_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

Needed to back off and remember it’s supposed to be fun. Lol

Back at it hard this past week and I have finished the track wiring and installed all the landscaping lights as well. The track has been tested and all is well .

I will start testing the DCS Remote system with WiFi in the near future.

Currently, just having some fun running a train or two the old fashion Way .lol

Here are some pictures trying to show the plan for the track layout. It worked well for the small area I was working with. I did get to stay with R-5 on the outer and had to use some R-3 on the inner.

The portable console picture shows how 3 pair of color coded wires connects everything to the weather proofed Hard Wired console. That enables me to protect all the electronics. I also have covers for both the consoles just to add some more protection.

So far so good. Hopefully all the remote stuff will work well when I start learning with it.

The learning on the fly continues.:Thinking_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

The last pictures is one of my test engines.

:Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24):

Larry:Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

DSCN0561.JPG

• 4 months later...

As you all can see it's winter here in East TN but I been working on buildings 9see Pictures attached) and accessories for spring.

And like a lot of you waiting on some pre orders from mth.

Still having fun. I do have more to build. :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

Larry

image1.jpeg

gomer.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

Great work there Larry. Wish I had your wiring skills. I'm moving next month and will rebuild, but doing a raised layout. Still need to take up my track and stuff, but it's 17 degrees and snowing. Like you I am waiting on pre-orders. That Dec. date for the dash 8 Veteran's loco sure was wrong. They had been doing pretty good. Keep up the good work.

Hi Jerry, thanks

I did read you were moving and starting a new adventure.:Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign_Emoji_large(24x24): I'm looking forward to watching the new layout in progress,

You all have weather a lot worse than we do so I understand.

I to am disappointed in my engine pre orders but being new in G It seems like I might as well get used to that with MTH.lol

One very good thing all the 5 GS American Freedom passenger cars are here, all the Veterans and 1st responder cars (like 20 I think is the total) are here. :Smiling_Emoji_with_Eyes_Opened_large(24x24):

So I don't really have a reason to moan and groan. They have done well.

Besides it's winter and I'll play O gauge inside. lol:D

Stay warm

Larry

Yeah, snowed yesterday and will Sat I guess.  IF it ever thaws I will start tearing down the railroad. All frozen right now, was 17 when I got up. MIght get up to the 40's next week. Layout has about 10" of snow on it though. Will go out and scrape off the track with a hoe or small shovel to help it thaw. I did bring some of the buildings in to work on this winter, but some are still out there and frozen down I imagine. Layout build depends on if any money is left. Might have to save for awhile.

I need some Wildroot!  You know many of us hate you Larry for you being so neat and organized. Guess that part of the military did not stick too good with me. Maybe with the move I'll be more organized down there, but doubt it. Keep up the good work.

Ha ya funny Jerry.

I,m just trying to make the thing fun.

I did take a couple of tenders today. One that was a Delaware & Hudson and another that was New York Central and BASH them. lol

Now I know Clinchfield never had a Hudson Steam, but they did have a challenger. hee.

Really Erwin, TN never had a Rock Creek Railroad either , but they do now. ha HA HA :D

I was nice about it and made placards so as not to destroy the thinks.

They did come out good and the pictures don't really do them justice.

I am in the process of ordering more decals from Stan for other projects. He does good work.

Still having fun and better get back to those buildings.

Larry:D

IMG_0892.JPG

10image004.jpeg