N&W 611 - Restoration and Excursion info

In case you guys didn't hear there is a fundraiser underway to restore the N&W 611 back to full operational condition.  They are looking to raise $3.5 million to restore the engine and build a proper maintenance facility to store and work in it.  They are looking for another $1.5 mill to ensure it has funds to maintain operations for the foreseeable future.  

http://fireup611.org/the-611/

I think the key part of this is Norfolk Southern is trying to ramp up it's PR program (like all the other railroads) and has given the clearance for it to run on their rails again.  So with this major backing, there should be no doubt that we should see this running in the near future.  

The time is now to donate!  We need to see this engine back in operation!!

Fireup611.png

Raymond

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raymond, You beat me to the punch!  I was going to say "Nevermind if MTH is going to make a One-gauge version of a N&W J,  we can go see the real thing!!"  Still hoping for a model of a J....

Hehe  We need to spread the word with everyone we know to get the word out they need donations.  We have to do what we can to get this running!  I will be present for its first run whenever that is.

• 4 months later...

• 1 year later...

It really is a 'shame' how many $ are spent on re-restorations.  Beautiful machines restored and then go back to the wayside for years, then restoration again - like a giant wheel revolution!

I've become increasingly aware that with any operational steam locomotive you never know when it will operate for the last time. Locomotives break down, tourist railroads go broke, and FRA mandated 15-year rebuilds come due. And you just never know if/when the money and talent will be there to rebuild. So when a locomotive you want to see is running, go see it! You might not have another chance. On the flip side, it is encouraging to see the great work being done by talented people at a variety of tourist railroads and museums.

In this locomotive's case,  it was due for major repairs / rebuild following the 1994 season.  1218 was already torn down in Birmingham, AL, and NS was still recovering from lawsuits resulting from injuries sustained by their own employees when 611's train derailed in the Great Dismal Swamp in the late 80s. 

The key to this restoration is that it is not NS doing the work or maintaining afterwards.  It is the museum, and they have put up a great plan for how to handle the locomotive and plan for its continued use.  However, if NS wasn't willing to let it run on their tracks,  it would have been a huge waste of money and time to restore it to operating condition.

I can think of one locomotive (Middletown and Hummelstown ex-CN #91) that is stored serviceable, but has only operated a handful of times.  That one is a shame. It would have been cool to see it operate with 89 at Strasburg (not that it was ever even discussed).

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

Dang I missed that! Jerry Jacobson of The Age of Steam Roundhouse has been donating his full time paid crew to help restore 611. They pulled this off in about 1 year. I'm glad this bunch of folks whomped the mighty UP....2 years and counting for the 844  :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

So they have 10 slots for 30min at the throttle for $611.00 on the 611 and I happen to know the person who just bought the last spot.  We may have some very interesting video to post here in the next month  ;)

and no, it's not me