N&W 611 - Restoration and Excursion info

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another of Cheri George looking thru the steam dome opening. Cheri was a fireman on 611 during 1990 - 1994 and to quote her she had the time of her life!

post-23-0-57118500-1431004978_thumb.jpg

From what I understand is the front engine truck needs wheelwork but they can't fix it at Spencer as they have no drop table. So it'll be going under steam to Roanoke to be worked on.

So nice.

I think it's really cool that even though 611 is a bit of an exotic bird to my eyes, it does exactly what I expect a steam engine to do - blowing out steam from the cylinder valves at the time I expect it and so on. It seems very familiar because the tech is simply the same as the ones I've seen first hand.

A tip of the hat to all that made her run again.  ;)

Jens

FLAWLESS Paint and Jacketing... THAT'S what I like to see!  First Class restoration job.  I bet this engine has never looked this good and had such a mirror finish.  Paint technology has probably come a long ways.  Can't wait to see it.

The amount of water pouring out of the front cylinder cock on the left side at the start of the video illustrates the point perfectly their importance.

• 2 weeks later...

BigHurt is on his way into destiny to become one of the very few people to ever have his hands on the throttle of this amazing locomotive.  I'll try to keep everyone posted as I hear more info.  Good luck BigHurt!  

(He's getting a full 30mins of actual throttle/operation time after the orientation!)