Help with layout wiring plan

Larry Sr.

I would appreciate feedback about my DCS plan for the outer loop with three isolated sections of track.

this is LGB brass track R 3 switches and split jaw clamps.

all wire is 12 ga low voltage landscape wire.

it is 105 feet with 30 feet of side track.

my drawing is not very professional but the best I can do.

I have read Joe's post and Ray's  well written ideas.

I still don't have a real good grip on D.C. Two rail. I hope to show you the inner loop when ever I get this pass you.lol

Any help good bad what ever is welcomed.

Larry

Edited by Larry Sr.
spelling

Yes add the Jumper at the top.

For the isolated sections, with a Protosound 2 or 3 engine it will look for a TIU Startup signal (aka watchdog signal) when track power is applied.  If it doesn't get that startup signal the engine will auto power-up assuming you plan to run in Analog track power mode.  

Operation when track power is applied with no TIU/Watchdog startup signal:

- PS2 engine:

- DC power:  Engine will power up and motors will start running at track voltage.   You won't have time to use remote to set engine into Command control mode so you can control with remote as it will take off running.

- AC power:  Engine will power up but motors will not run. (Just like in O gauge) waiting for analog commands.  You can use remote to set engine into Command control mode so you can control with remote.

- PS3 engine: 

- DC or AC power: Engine will power up but motors will not run. (Just like in O gauge) waiting for analog commands.  You can use remote to set engine into Command control mode so you can control with remote.

If you want the engine to see a TIU startup signal, you can do what I do and that is to add a DCS Remote Commander box to each siding (run a set of wires from the remote commander box to the siding wiring) so a startup signal is generated on power up.  That keeps the engine shut down and ready for remote commands with no other effort.  I have those boxes available if you like.  You will want 1 box per isolated section.   Since you will be running DC power and your engines are PS2 then you will really need to go with remote commander boxes.  Even if they were PS3, I personally prefer to have the boxes in place so the engines dont power up, but you can do without them.

OK

Ray has taken out one issue  the (aka watchdog signal) . We have DCS Remote Commander boxes on the way.

Now does anyone see any other problems in this? Anything.

I'm really trying not to cover all this wire up with dirt , weed barrier and crushed rock and then find out I screwed up.:(

Tonight I hope to draw the inner loop and post to see if you all think there is a issue.

Again, thanks for any type of feed back

Larry:)

Ray

The out side run is 105 feet. Add the sidings about another 24 feet. HOWEVER I'm only about 60 feet from my train room and , well ? I expect (copy Joe) soon after this is all done I''ll be adding that much more. It will be pre wired for that;)

Right now I'm not doing it.

Larry

Thanks Ray

I'm beginning to think you and me are the only ones on the forum.:D

By the way I received that  220-RM this AM. All I can say is WOW!  Thanks Mike.  It's going to be a nice addition to this project.

image3.thumb.JPG.638b39ec1ab5091121f10590a413e2d2.JPG

You are asking very specific questions about wiring for a DCS layout which is something I have spent a good number of hours doing methodical testing to arrive at the recommendations I have.  There really aren't many who have done that.

With that power supply you can run each loop on a dedicated throttle and have each loop be on it's own TIU channel and do each in Passive mode.

http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Tips.htm#Use_of_TIU_to_provide_signal_to_track:__Normal_vs_Passive_mode

Only other item we may see if you have the Fixed 1 Channel powered up with one throttle and you apply power to the Fixed 2 channel with the other throttle at a later time, the second channel may not send the TIU start up signal (because it's DC power and because it's already powered up.  If it doesn't send the startup signal later you may need 1 more DCS commander box to put on Fixed 2 channel, but lets see how it goes.   

You will have a very nice setup with excellent equipment :)

"You are asking very specific questions about wiring for a DCS layout which is something I have spent a good number of hours doing methodical testing to arrive at the recommendations I have.  There really aren't many who have done that. "

Believe me , I certainly understand that from reading so much of your information. And I am appreciative of you taking the time to answer me here on the forum.

DCS to is still like fuzzy math sometimes.

Thanks again.

Good one Sean.:)

I usually do the same thing in O gauge except here I don't really know exactly what I'm doing. :huh:

DC,  2 rail and then add DCS. You would think I want punishment of the brain. lol

It's still a fun, new and  challenging project for a old retired guy.:D

Larry.

I have had opportunities to work on large O gauge deployments and have found that the layout deployment principles to be the same.  (continuous loops, dont break into isolated zones etc).  I know that goes against what has historically been recommended (ie having 100ft max zones etc) but I have validated my recommendations through testing.  So in this case I wouldn't look at O gauge as any different.  The one thing that will be different is how the PS2 boards operate under DC power vs AC.  In O gauge in AC you are used to the engines staying put if they miss a signal, in DC they don't and that is really the only difference.  (outside of the fact that for 2 rail, power polarity to the PS2 board becomes an issue and requires a polarity switch. :)

Yes that is correct.  For engines that miss the TIU startup signal on AC power, correct.  The motors won't activate and the engine won't move.  (It will still power up with sound and smoke depending on how the analog controls are set on the engine.)

Hi All:)

While continuing to work and figure out wiring I have another question.:wacko:

The LGB 51755 Momentary Control Box requires AC power to operate my 7 switches. Additionally other LGB accessories also require AC.

Currently the way I read the manual on my Bridgewerks 220 does  not give me the availability of AC power.:(

I also have a new MRC Powers G 10 AMP that's worthless for AC power according to the manual .:(

1. SO, can I use one of my USA Power 10 transformers that does provide AC out for nothing but dedicated AC power? :D

2. AND, would it interfere with my DCS operation?

Again thanks for any help:)

Larry

Ok yes that Bridgewerks power supply does not appear to have AC outputs.

You can use the USA power supply to provide the AC power you need to the switches with no problem.  It's all separate wiring from what you're doing on the track rails themselves so you are good.  It won't interfere with the DCS operation.