Aristo U25B upgrades?

enginear joe

I finally got an Aristo U25B in my hands. Some first impressions are the engine feels on the light side? The trucks seem to need some lube to swivel easier? The detailing may need some upgrades to look more realistic.

The first thought I had on an upgrade would be to swap out the trucks as I run with MTH's DCS system. I don't know what the insides of the trucks look like but I have read some posts about difficulty in making them run with PS boards.

So I would look for a swap with maybe a VO1000 that sit on my shelves (older than my desired era), a F or PA's trucks, or a Dash 8's trucks?

I really wonder about making the engine into a U boat with C trucks and six axles?? Maybe a later U30C, U33C or a U36C??

Has anyone worked on these? Anybody upgraded the looks?

DSC_2125.JPG

Joe,

I Have a U25B that's on the project list.

So far it's been disassembled and paint stripped. I did manage to paint the chassis, end steps, ends and number boards black. Eventually it will be a Milwaukee Road unit with PS3.

I sold the drives, those funky truck mounts and the wiring harness.

Best match is to use USA F unit drives as wheel size and wheel base are right on...and at $50 per drive can't really go wrong.

Don't know if you seen but a VO1000 sold recently for over $700...might wanna think twice before cannibalizing?

IMAG0006.JPG.aae5993a287698389a2c160187d2d59d.JPG

Yes I do watch the prices of stuff. I try and borrow stuff from engines and leave them so they can be returned to service at anytime. 

I should know that you would attempt this long before I would even think of it!

I have a spare set of MTH 3 axle trucks (plus the ones from you) that have been hacked up and abandoned. Someone tried to lower them and use them on a project. I bought them hoping to use them myself someday.

The tops of the trucks are all cut up. So I thought about making this a UxxC engine?

I would have to modify the frame to get those trucks to work, and I really don't have the energy needed to start this. I think I may just run as is for sometime. 

That fuel tank is interesting to me. It has a sloped bottom inside where the speaker could be mounted. I'm wondering why they would do that? I'd have to make an adapter plate to get the speaker to seal on the tank's bottom.

For now I put about a pound of weight in the tank for more pulling power.

I don't like the clear number boards either. The air hoses look way too big. My front coupler sags down and opens on pressure. etc.............. whaaaaaaaaaah

Lol...Yeah these U25's are pretty cheesy ;) At one time St Aubin was selling them for $150 with a free caboose...that kinda says a lot about them :)

Years ago I had 2 UP versions. 1 was new and the other was a old one...the old one had such weak truck springs that the whole locomotive would lean going thru curves...I though it was gonna tip over!!

You're onto something there as I just looked it up and GE did use EMD trucks on some U boats...I didn't know that...hmmm!!

I gotta find another cheap U25B as 1 just doesn't look right pulling a bunch of cars...and why not paint & convert 2 at the same time for twice the price??!!

Biggest problem I see is the air intakes on rear of the hood sides...clear plastic painted with grill design...how typical half-a**ed Aristo :blink: 

Hopefully fixing those air grills will be easy. I always do a single build and after, regret not doing 2 or 3 of them at once. The MP15AC and the SD70ACE would have been better in multiples. The expense was a factor.

I quit the ES44 as I lost interest sitting inside in the summer. I will resume when the winter comes back.