Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

Screwy Nick

Delivered today.  This kit is made by Saito of Japan.  this is just the boat, it will most likely take me most of a year to build.  It is made to support an alcohol fed boiler and a 3 cylinder steam engine made by the same company.  I imagine this is what an Aster locomotive kit is like.  Each bag contains an inventory with corresponding ID letter and number matching on the main print.  You can see the size compared to the E8's on the shelf.

I've been waiting for this kit since February, but that's really not long as compared to some that have waited years for a particular loco to be produced. 

DSCN0019.JPG

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't bore you with the entire build, but yesterday I found that I was 2mm off on certain locations.  Since this is the base for the rest I wanted it spot on.   I guess the line can easily be blurred between HOBBY and OBSESSION.  Anyway, all measurements are now SPOT ON.  

Honestly:  I am bouncing between this build and an RPO car that was sponsored by Bob Clark of Stoke'em and Smokem, the American distributer of  Wuhu and is made by Iron Horse Engraving.   This is my first 1:32 passenger car build and I am very impressed with John Pletcher's kit.  So I'm having double the fun, and with the heat wave I'm getting a lot accomplished inside.  

DSCN0032.JPG

DSCN0033.JPG

Joe,  I know some have had issues with the chrome being cracked.  I don't know why or how but these are pristine.  I installed a sound system w speakers in each loco.  I ran them once and really sorry to say they have been Shelf Queens since.    

BTW, the boat deck is only laid in place.  The installation of that is a whole 'norther' story.  LG

DSCN0034.JPG

Well.....???

They are beautiful shelf queens!

Thanks for the info. I hate to keep bugging you off topic but why are they stuck on the shelf? Power pick-up problem? Stuttering?

They look near mint and I love to see stuff run. I would think a decent sound board would help them run smoother unless it's sound only?

I've always admired them.

Joe, not bugging me at all.  Since getting the Live Steam bug my electrics have pretty much become shelf queens, the E's were just too beautiful to pass on. I only run the electrics when company comes and they pic the locos they want to see run.  Phoenix sound only.  

Sean, you always bring a smile to my face,  remember you dubbed me 'Screwy Nick'.  

I won't bore you with each part of the build, but I think I have reached a mile stone. The ships frames and main deck are now installed and TRUE. The basic framing for the superstructure and deck house is now also in place.
this is construction project not an assembly kit. while the wood parts are basically shaped as they should be, there is additional fitting necessary to make it all came together and fit properly. Looking ahead in the instructions many of the ABS parts also need to be shaped. I am happy with the kit and still looking forward to many months of modeling bliss. LG

DSCN0039.JPG

Joe, thank you.

Sean, the hull came as one piece, Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic so I believe it will float.    This boat has twin screws for propulsion.  It comes with a gear assembly so one engine can be used to operate both of them counter revolution of each other.  On another forum someone suggested that I use two engines (steam of course) to operate each prop independently, will greatly enhance the maneuverability.  I intend to do that with R/C which will add another whole dimension to this project.  LG

Sean, it will be something to see if I can do it, but that is a long way off.  I expect just the boat build to take 9 months.  While letting things set I am configuring the R/C in two different ways.  Individual engines w separate speed and separate direction.  OR one control that will adjust direction AND speed with just one servo for each engine.  THAT is the one I am putting my efforts toward, and I think I may have it.   Don't expect too much in the near future, still learning how to translate some of the characters in the directions.  Thank you for your enthusiasm.   BTW, I'm still SCREWY        LG    

If you remember, and I'm sure you do, I started that build using a Box Car.  After it was almost ready for the blades I started all over and used a USAT 1:24 Caboose as the body instead.  I also used very different PVC fitting for the base of the rotary assembly, totally different direction from where I started.    This will be a long time coming.  But in-between this, the house, dog, chickens and everything else i'm having fun.   I hope the same for you.     Screwy for ever.   

I strayed from the directions provided.  Strips of PVC were provided to smooth the inside of the bulwark.  It was OK as long as the deck only had minor curves and changes in direction.  I attempted to 'warm' some of the strips to mimic the bow section and no matter what I did it only distorted as there were several direction changes needed at one time.  I decided to use Bondo to replace the PVC strips in the bow section .  With the help of Bob (rbrown7713) and the internet I have what I was striving for.  LG  

• 3 weeks later...

I have found this to be a very interesting kit.  The build can be separated into several different facets, so if you are getting bored with one, just skip a few pages and move to another.  I skipped a few pages, assembled and 'fitted' the basic structures to the deck.  As in real sea going vessels the deck is curved fore and aft, and the center is sloped to the sides.

I can move in any direction, back to install the deck planking or even forward to the placement and installation of the prop shafts and rudder.  The boiler and engine are due to be delivered next week, so I'm sure to assemble and test them as soon as they arrive.

I have been alerted to several boat/ship building sites that offer many accessories.  I am drawn to a rotating radar mast that would add movement, that added to my plan to use LED's or grain bulbs to light fixtures will really help it stand out.   LG

DSCN0064.JPG

DSCN0065.JPG

DSCN0066.jpg

The beauty is in the details, these Fairleas are from Harbor Models Inc.  The manufacturer offered a piece of brass wire to be bent and glued to a hole in the Bulwark.  I also got some very nice Scuppers as they made the same offer for them also.  

DSCN0069.JPG

DSCN0070.JPG

I am one happy camper.  The engine is a real work of art, the pics just don't do it justice.  I hope you can see the mains have oil cups with wicking material.  I put something on the pic so you can see the real size of it. I found a conversation to go from kg/CM2 to lbs/sq inch and it is designed to operate at 21 lbs pressure, and the safeties blow at 28.4, lower than most of our LS locos.,  Enjoy

DSCN0075.JPG

DSCN0076.JPG

DSCN0077.JPG

It sure is, I have it on the dinning room table so I can drool over it while I am eating.     

I made a lot of progress this morning.  I laid out and installed the scuppers.  The numbers for the Bulwark stays in the diagram didn't exactly work the with after market scuppers I bought so I modified the stay locations a bit, 2mm each.  Still sea worthy by any means.   enjoy

DSCN0078.JPG

DSCN0079.JPG

DSCN0080.JPG