Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

Screwy Nick

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, That was a big selling point for me, years ago I was bitten by the LS bug really hard.  The burner and boiler are very different than any I have seen, so will have to learn how operate it properly.   I hope to start assembling the running gear later today.  

attached is a pic of the burner, boiler and engine just laid together

DSCN0081.JPG

DSCN0082.JPG

Joe, Sean, thank you for the encouragement.   The pressure gauge and associated fittings from Saito mfg is not available.  Bought a smaller brass fitting at hardware, found I have a M7x0.75 tap so will make my own adaptor and use one made by Accucraft.   Got my fingers crossed.    LG

I was just trying to envision the big old ships like the Titanic and how many boilers and how much power it had. Even scaled down it would be impressive. The one here looks amazing.

I must resist. I have too many hobbies now. Our grandson asks when I will start a ride on RR.

Joe, I have read where the Titanic had 13 boilers, all coal manually fed.  I can't imagine the power it put out.  My last ship was a 'Research Vessel'.  the last Liberty ship still in use which had a 3 cylinder engine.  I always felt bad for the Snipes that had to operate that beast.  I still remember wicks handing from the over head that they had to apply oil so when the part rose it would touch and become lubricated. Steam was generated by oil.  I remember once we were making turns for 13 knots, but due to the head wind we were barely keeping on course.  Good memories.  

And if I may ask,  "when are you going to start the ride on Rail Road? 

Joe, I wish you good luck with the lottery.   Larry Sr, thank you, I will keep it up.  Attached is the latest with the running gear in the hull.  It is not secured yet as I want to break it in before permanent installation.  I also took liberties as to where to place the braces so I have access to the bed mounting screws so I can lift the whole thing out if necessary.  Placement of the running gear is dependent on the position of the exhaust stack which is supposed to line up with the rear stack. ENJOY 

DSCN0084.JPG

DSCN0085.JPG

DSCN0086.JPG

Sean, thank you.  There is a tank that goes between the engine exhaust, for deposit of condensed steam and oil, then to the stack.  Trying to shoe horn all that into the deck opening, along with the tubes that go with he pressure relief valves on both the boiler and burner are adding to the adventure.   Added to that is the personal preference to drain the boiler after each use, which means lifting the running gear bed, fully assembled,  regularly in and out of the Tug.  Pics not ready for that, still under development.   LG    

Sean, Under the furthest aft hatch is the assembly I just finished this morning, not adhered yet.  I have to cut out rectangles to house the servos, receiver and battery. The linkage for the throttle and direction will go forward and the rudder linkage will go aft.   LG

DSCN0088.JPG

DSCN0089.JPG

I just had my first run. I had a fire extinguisher and hose at the ready, I was apprehensive since I am not familiar with meth or this type of burner. .
I couldn't see the flame in the cup, and didn't put enough in the first time. Second time it came to life. while it was running I blew the whistle, which locked up the engine, I did the fwd/rev thing till it cleared, I guess it was water locked. I didn't blow the whistle again. After a 20 min run I shut it down.  
Like I do with my locomotives I attempted to suck the water from the bottom of the oil tank, and only oil came out. There was grunge in the tank that the cylinder exhaust is going to, so It did use some.  
I shut down the burner and let it slowly run out of steam, only then could I really appreciate the beauty of that engine. I wish it were Butane fired, much quiter. LG

Since the manufacturer produced pressure gauge is not available at this time.  I really would like to see what is going on in the boiler.  I tapped a 1/4" pipe plug to the threads on the boiler fixture, used a few fittings and tubing I have left over from past projects to adapt an Accucraft gauge.   The engine actually will run on 12 lbs pressure and the relief valves do let go at 30lbs.   I'm a happy steamer.   LG

DSCN0098.JPG

DSCN0095.JPG

• 1 month later...

What I find most interesting is the making of the small components. Each in itself is a minor challenge, put them all together and you have a fine model. This is a set of steps going from the main deck to the 01 level, a really minor detail. Steps are a kit from Harbor Models. The handrails is what really gives it substance. They are shaped and soldered from 1mm brass wire.  Sorry for the poor pics. thank you.

DSCN0155.JPG

DSCN0157.JPG

I started to plank the deck of the 01 level. I started by using the suggested directions. It gave a 'picture frame look' (45' angles) to all the direction changes. That is not what I think a working vessel should look like. FOR ME the straight fore to aft look gave it what I was looking for. Also rubbed a pencil on all the seams to give them more definition. I used the 'Four Butt System. I also marked where the deck beams are to make the spacing for the planks easier. I am really enjoying this part of the build. LG

DSCN0166.JPG

DSCN0167.JPG