Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

Screwy Nick

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benshell, If I may add to your aguish of another project, here is the latest.   In addition to the deck planking to the 01 level.  To enhance the seams of the planks I rubbed each plank top edge using a #2 pencil before adhering.  Then diluted Poly urethane 25% by volume with Mineral Spirits and and brushed on a light coat.  As much as I hated to do so I am drilling openings in the deck for the ventilators and other things, just added the pic of the holes.  Caused much anticipation as I was afraid of splintering the decking.   BTW, I expect this to take me at least one year to complete, and I am retired. .  Enjoy,   

DSCN0177.JPG

DSCN0179.JPG

I know some long term projects have enthusiasm lulls. So far that hasn't happened, I still look forward to each step in the build. Maybe because I am not doing them int he order prescribed in the directions. I am enjoying each individual part of the process and then putting them together to make a whole piece. Enjoy

DSCN0182.JPG

DSCN0183.JPG

DSCN0184.JPG

DSCN0185.JPG

DSCN0186.JPG

Sean & dieseldude, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  I do like the Bright Work  I wish I could have left the Pilot House frames in brass, but I had to cast some of them with Resin, due to making the hatch 'windows' match the rest of them, the plans called for them to be round, ????. Just one more way I strayed from the directions, and there are more changes I intend to do to personalize this build.  LG    

Once again I have strayed from the instructions and this time also from the material provided.  I was provided lengths of very thin plastic to cut and fashion Life Boat Winches.  Knowing how poor I am with plastic, these little h'orderves are actually blocks of wood made to the exact dimensions of the finished product.  They do need more smoothing out, but I am so far happy with the look.   LG 

DSCN0187.JPG

DSCN0188.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Far too soon in the build to be doing this, but between the weather and the 'itch' to see plumes coming from he stack, I was driven.

I am much further on with the building the accessories for the 01 level, but I really wanted to see how hot the real stack got before committing to their installation as everything is really tight. Joe Johnson advised me it wouldn't get over 215'F as it is saturated steam and he is correct as I could always hold the stack in my fingers.  And it also removed my fear of the paint on the stack pealing.

I have Emailed him other particulars as he is building the same boat and we have been sharing.   Enjoy, I surely am.    

fullsizeoutput_311.jpeg

DSCN0220.JPG

I believe I have had a mile stone in the build.  Joe Johnson explained the spring tension on the stack supports and how important that is not only for the real ship but for the model as well.  Taking his advice I moved ahead.  I used the very stiff line supplied with the kit and used some 26gauge wire I purchased and, well the pic will easily explain what I did.  Today I painted the parts as he explained they were coated in tar to help keep off corrosion from the salt water.  LIFE IS GOOD

DSCN0225.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still jumping around on the build. I would like to paint the hull, but before that I have to install the exterior running gear. I didn't really depend so much on the suggested jigs in the directions as actual measurements, they just wouldn't stay in place, I can be 'thumbs' at times.
I also didn't like the idea of a one time shot at installing the rudder correctly. I drilled and tapped the hull so the holding piece can be removed for finer adjustments. When I am satisfied with the fit and function I'll make it permanent, remove the screw and shape it to the hull. Yup I'm still enjoying the build. LG
1&2 are the prop shafts with the oil tubes shaped and soldered in place, the large bearing ends will secure the oil seals at the transmission location. I can inject oil into the tubes to keep the shafts lubricated, a nice feature I thought.
3: the shafts, seals and props temporarily in place, also the hull bracket that will fix the rudder in place.
4 the rudder. Life if Good   

Sean:  I am now getting snow and charging the batteries in the Rotary, If all works out I'll post some pics tomorrow.   

DSCN0237.JPG

fullsizeoutput_317.jpeg

DSCN0242.JPG

DSCN0244.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:12 PM, Screwy Nick said:

Sean:  I am now getting snow and charging the batteries in the Rotary, If all works out I'll post some pics tomorrow.   

My layout is buried in leaves... Now that is covered in Ice.. I'll live thru you Nick ! :Smiling_Devil_Emoji_large(150x150):

Sean, if you are living through me you are not living well.   By the time I got to it it was very wet and heavy.  My Shay had no traction at all.  I did get to blow what ever I could get the plow into, but it wasn't much.  After seeing that I intend to reshape the blades.  Disappointing pic attached, really nothing to write home about.  In addition to all the usual things going on in Nick Land, my chickens haven't laid an egg in a couple of weeks, they are molting.  Life is STILL Good.  

DSCN0252.JPG

I have completed the main deck structure including all the fixtures accept for the masts. I glazed the Pilot House windows. While in the past I have used microscope slides in my locomotives this time I used slide covers. I will never do that again. They are very thin, while that is a good thing made it extremely difficult to make an accurate cut and it would shatter into such small pieces that can barely be seen, and only know where one is after it has impeded itself in my finger. UNLESS someone knows how to cut them and is willing to share.
The marker lights are the item I really like. The marker, running lights and bulbs were gotten from Harbor Models. There will be three clear lamps on the forward mast, and while not on the plan I hope to put one on the Fantail. I am hoping to cut a channel on the back of the fwd mast to some what hide the wires.
I had planned on not securing the pilot house to the main deck structure so I could easily adjust the burner. Looking further in the plans I have to abandon that idea as the fwd mast has guide wires that connect to the pilot house roof behind the flying bridge. That whole structure is taken off to service the boiler and burner. Enjoy

DSCN0277.JPG

DSCN0278.JPG

DSCN0275.JPG

DSCN0276.JPG

Living up to my screen name:  I have once again deviated from the provided plans. I felt that the mast spacer/holder wouldn't really hold to the structure as it was already painted. I have had the experience where epoxy held the part to the paint. When stressed the part came off and only the paint it was stuck to came off with it, and the part had been properly primed. Knowing the guide wires would not only hold it in place, the springs would also add constant stress to this joint. I feel more secure with this arrangement. LG

DSCN0292.JPG

DSCN0287.JPG

DSCN0289.JPG