Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

Screwy Nick

Started the installation of the receiver and servos. I got a very strong servo, 9.6kg/cm (133.32oz in) for the throttle as the valve is located above the boiler and was fairly hard to operate while the it was generating steam. Tested the operation using 20lbs of air pressure to make sure I had the full throw of the valve. After the other two servos are installed I'll test it on steam. LiG

DSCN0770.JPG

DSCN0771.JPG

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chugging along is about all I can do.   My next test will be to make sure the uppermost antenna is really connected to the receiver and the distance it will receive. Then unless I get side tracked for another detail it's time to balance and trim the boat with weights. It will just fit in the bath tub so I can do that indoors. LiG

Small addition: The bulbs are rated for 6v and advertised as having a 5K hour life. Dropped it down to 5v using diodes so they may be less likely to pop on initial start up. Lights will mostly likely be used for display but are still visible in bright light. LiG

DSCN0787.JPG

fullsizeoutput_393.jpeg

DSCN0790.JPG

Thank you Sean.  I found a weight I removed from an old Aristo track cleaning car that I transformed into a Rail Broom, it weighs 240gm. Instructions didn't say to but I added 400ml of water to the boiler. 1ml of water weighs 1gm so will make a difference. The strips added 784gm so the total metal weights is 1024. I was surprised the weight needed to be that far forward to get "lateral inclination".   Pics of water line are with all running re-installed. 
Going back I used a screw in the keel plate so the rudder could be removed if necessary, and I'm glad I did. Had to apply some epoxy to the inner bottom of the keel to seal a tiny weep I caused. I was tempted to add alcohol and boil some water, didn't.
I just learned that different receivers are rated for different distances. Will be very important with a boat that can just wander off where as a train is mostly predictable where it will go. Any advice in that area will be appreciated. LiG

DSCN0793.JPG

fullsizeoutput_394.jpeg

DSCN0798.JPG

DSCN0799.JPG