Live Steam Salvage Tug Kit

Screwy Nick

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Securing the anchors be it for a little while. I have broken one of my basic rules: not starting another project while one is in progress, and I have. The one I am keeping is: not to do something just to get it done. I hope to resume in the near future and at that time to plank the main deck, which I will take my time and enjoy each plank. Thank You.

DSCN0485.JPG

• 7 months later...

Sean, thank you.  Jerry, this one will sail once or maybe twice just to prove it can, then become a shel queen.  I get more fun in the build process.   For those that are familiar with the '4 butt shift system' of deck planking know I made a mistake, which I corrected today.  No fun pulling the planks up.   

DSCN0733.JPG

In the hope of not making the same mistake and having to pull up deck planks, instead of keeping progress notes, I am marking the base deck with the rib letter and plank number. Also going down the side I'm using the provided strips in the full length scoring and marking the plank lengths. LiG
EDIT: the second pic shows the area where the battery, receiver and servo's will be placed, can just see the arm that controls the rudder and the little red wire that connects to the top most antenna for the R/C and the big red one to power the mast and marker lights. 

DSCN0734.JPG

DSCN0735.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the main deck planking. The kit doesn't say what kind of wood it is, but plenty of it is provided. Smoothed the deck of minor irregularities and gave it a coat of satin polyurethane diluted to 70% with mineral spirits. After drying gave the deck a rub with 1000 grit, a good vacuuming to get all the dust from between plank seams. Another coat of the poly. I am very happy with the results. Next is the receiver, servos and battery installation. LiG

DSCN0746.JPG

DSCN0747.JPG

Hi Nick, 

Just reviewed this thread.  Magnificent work.  That engine would be the pride and joy I guess of any marine engineer.  :Wink_Emoji_large(24x24):  It wasn't until you posted a photo of the tug outdoors that I was able to appreciate its size.  The tug would certainly look at home on the Hudson.  I noticed in your fist post, that you anticipated 'best part of a year'.  Well that turns out to be eighteen months but I guess you got on with other projects  (barge?) as a break.

Alan, thank you. yes that engine is a work of art and runs as good as it looks.  My estimate of time was before I got started.  Things like railings , stanchions and brass wire are what is provided, it sometimes took a week to to assemble, solder and mount, and I did enjoy all of them.  Also deviated from the instructions a few times.  I did purchase a couple of parts from Harbor Models that I didn't think I could create, even though materials were provided. I especially liked the lights with Fresnel (had to look that up) lenses from Harbor.  All in all I think it is a well designed kit.  Probably have maybe 6 months or more of enjoyment, but don't hold me to that.     Life is Good

I realized I forgot about the small steps to the drying deck. As you can see as in other places where there wasn't much joining area I used straight pins to give the adhesive additional support. Drifting once again from the procedure I noticed there weren't provisions for handrails, so for crew safety I fashioned some for these and the other small steps near the engine compartment. LiG

DSCN0749.JPG

DSCN0753.JPG

fullsizeoutput_392.jpeg

Made the hand rails for the amid ship steps. Slightly different profile, altered the ones on the drying deck to match. I like this look a bit better. Also, going to modify the rails on the drying deck to make them removable so they don't interfere with towing. LiG

DSCN0755.JPG

DSCN0757.JPG

Sean, you are absolutely right, should be a safety rail there also.  Will have to fabricate stanchions as I used all that came with the kit for the rails in the procedure.  Another project. YES.  To the hobby shop for brass rod!!    LiG

First I wanted to continue the brown boarder so it matched the decking above. Made a small form so I could size things up for fitting. These are small enough so I may be able to fully assemble and paint them before installing them. Found stanchions @ Harbor Models that needed a slight mod to match to the ones that came with the kit. LiG

DSCN0758.JPG

DSCN0762.JPG