3D Printed 1:32 SW1500

Chuck

Could someone who has a clue how to do this, please explain how you get one of these. I'm still in the kitbash world and don't understand 3D printing at all. I just need a little here to get me out of the 20th century and into the 21st. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Larry

Jerry,

On another forum a guy posted that he drew up a cad file to 3D print the Milwaukee Skytop lounge observation car end in 1:48 scale. I asked if he'd sell me a copy of the file with no reply. Be fairly easy to scale the file up in either 1:32 or 1:29. He was talking about printing it in clear plastic, then just mask the windows and paint. 

Well to get that SW1500 you could let an online company print it for you. In the link above there is some 3d print companies listed at the bottom of page.

Another route would be to download the files and print them on your 3d printer. The printer the author used is a Makerbot Replicator and they're pricey at like $2,500.00...but dang good machines...can see by the quality of the hood & cab etc.

Could also maybe take a copy of the files that you load onto a flashdrive to a local city or large town in your area that has a "open shop"...what I mean is some localities have an industrial arts center that's open to the public where you can use their machines...they'll have 3D printers, laser cutters, mills and lathes available for use. Maybe a community college?? 

Best way to learn 3D printing is watch you tube videos. 3D printing is a hobby onto itself. 

And the reason why that model is so smooth is that builder printed it in high resolution...say like in .5mm layers. There's others that sell 3D printed loco's and such but they're printing them in a very low resolution..say like 4mm layers and they come out rough. Only reason for that is they want to "push" the print out faster...that is not spend 8 or 16 hours printing out a cab or something when can get it "close" in a few hours.