G Gauge Breyer Garratt anyone?

ssculptor

It looks fine to me.

I am thinking of using two Bachmann 4-6-0 locomotives to make mine. in G gauge. 

I am not a fine sale modeler at all. I use the three foot rule, "If it looks good from three feet away it is in scale".  Besides it is more fun to make my own locomotive designs. 

Stephen

You did a good job with your Breyer-Garratt. 

I intend to use the Bachmann 4-6-0 because they are now so inexpensive. Everyone seems to have 2 or a half dozen of the critters lying around. 

They sell on eBay for under a hundred bucks, including postage. 

I had a Bachmann 4-6-0 that was converted to a mother Hubbard with a wooten firebox but it was lost in a house fire.  I'll eventually convert a number of different engines I have in storage into Mother Hubbards.

So much to build - so little time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently was outbid on a #1 gauge 2-8-8-8-2 on ebay. I quit at $850 which was good because l really could not afford it. Besides l prefer scales closer to 1/29. 1/24 or therabouts. Or so l keep telling myself. Yeah sure. But l have enough old Bachman 4-6-0 engines to make my own. Why not? The real railroads often modified or made their own designs in their shops. The H & W  RR will have their own triplex. 

Kit bashing and scratch building was a lot easier in HO Gauge in the 1950 1970 Era with Selley Co. selling all the necessary parts, like feedwater heaters, various

pumps and vebelfetzers. 

Is there a company today producing all those parts in G gauge? 

Try,  Precision Scale Co., Inc.   They produce all types of parts in brass and plastic for many scales.  I just purchased some hand rail hardware from them, and they are cheap, and thanks Nick, but I am just doing my thing that I love.  Bob.

Sscuptor, I do remember those parts, and when I was younger I took advantage of them.  You may find as you get older it is easier to graduate to a larger scale as  they are easier to see. My next jump will be 1:1, just funnin'.   

Bob: always following your posts, and I likewise doing what I love.                        Life is Good

You can go to full size locomotives if you find the 60 cm gauge trains that were used in large farms 100 years ago. They were also used in WW1 to supply troops up to the trenchs. They were popular in South America and it is likely some can be found today but they would need expensive rebuilding.  You would also need a really big back yard and lots of track. We can dream, can't we?