How to repair damaged locomotives

ssculptor

Hi guys,

Is there any book or article on the repairing of G gaugevmodel locomotives that have suffered fire damage?

Twenty months ago there was a fire in my house. We have finally moved back into our repaired home and now I want to get the trains operating. 

They all suffered smoke and some water damage but one was trampled by the firemen as they fought the fire. 

The worse hit was the Aristocraft 2-8-8-2 which was trampled when it was knocked off the shelf and walked on by the firemen.  I certainly cannot blame the firemen as the smoke was so dense no one could see for than a foot in front of one's eyes. 

But I am now trying to get things back in running condition.

The physical damage can be repaired. That is no problem. But what to do with smoke and water filled electrical motors?  There are also several Lionel 4-4-2 large scale Atlantic's which got wet and smoky. Same for the Bachmann 4-6-0 engines.  

Is there any book or booklet or magazine article that cover this?

Also, I would like to convert everything to battery power and radio conitrol operation.

Any suggestion as to which is the best system to use in G gauge.

Many thanks,

Stephen

Well I'll try to help...water filled electronics and motors isn't really much of a problem. Pull the electronic boards and if they look ok as in not all corroded with white or green residue on them I'd just blow them off a bit with compressed air. If all yucky looking then clean them with isopropyl alcohol and an old toothbrush...then blow them dry with compressed air. The alcohol won't hurt them as that's a basic wash that electronics firms use to remove solder flux residue.

For the motors just dry them out by blowing thru any openings with compressed air then look inside them with a strong light source. If they look black and  sooty or dirty wash them out with some CRC electronic or motor cleaner then dry them with compressed air. Believe it or not but in the RC car world folks break-in stubborn turning electric motors by running them under water. I've done the same with electric motors in model trains that don't want to spin very good at low speeds. 

For water soaked smoke units I'd just disassemble and rinse out with CRC electronic cleaner, bench test and then re-wick the elements.

20 months is quite a long time for those to sit in that condition but with a little work I'm sure all will be fine. Too bad about the Aristo Mallet. I'm sure the outside of your locos look worse  with all that yellow black smoke damage than the insides...but with a little luck I'm sure that you'll resurrect them all :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24): 

Hi Chuck,

Many thanks for the cleaning advice. I will do what you suggest. 

We once had a flood in my basement where ground water (fresh) was forced up into the basement to a depth of about 18 inches. The washer and dryer were on the floor so the motor of the washer got very wet. I was told that just take the back of the shell of the washer and dryer off and let them air dry for a few days. I also placed a couple lights near them with 200 watt bulbs to give some heat.  It all worked fine. After four days I had enough nerve to plug them back in and they worked very well for many years after.  They were Maytag machines of course and they lasted over 20 years.  Unfortunately the new Maytag machines are now made by a different company and the lifespan has been cut to 1/3, at best, of the old machines. Such is life. 

Also my Lincoln Idealarc 250 welder was totally under saltwater for several hours as if was stored in the garage that was right at the edge of the harbor.

I called Lincoln  for advice and they said to just remove the sheet metal and hose it down with a powerful stream of fresh water from my garden hose. Then let it dry off a few days.  It has worked perfectly ever since.  By the way I now live on high ground, hundreds of feet above sea level. 

As to the damage to the mallet, I always wanted-to convert it to the Erie 0-8-8-0 camel back or later 2-8-8-2 but I never had the nerve to do that to a locomotive in new condition.  Now, however, I can proceed without any qualms.  I enjoy making my own locomotive and rolling stock.  Back in the 1950's Bill Schoup wrote articles about how he converted HO gauge engines to look like they were from other railroads. Back then we had only a few affordable locomotives and they were cast in Zamnack. We could buy all the parts we needed from Seeley Co. which cast everything in metal. The alternative was to buy brass locomotives that were made in Japan. Gorgeous but very expensive. Schoup's articles were in Railroad Model Craftsman as I recall.  Now I can do that in G gauge. Yes my work will never appear in Fine Scale Modeler but so what? I make  models for my pleasure and to please the board of my railroad, Hawgwaller and Western. 

Again, many thanks,

Stephen

This line makes me cringe...

Lincoln Idealarc 250 welder was totally under saltwater for several hours

Oh man what a mess! :Surprised_Face_Emoji(24x24):

Luckily though no damage!

Water doesn't really mess electronic things up all that bad when just temporarily soaked. Nothing that a little drying time won't take care off.

I'm sure that me and others on this fine forum will be looking forward to seeing your creations!! 

Yes, I was lucky the tidal water was clean and drained away as the extraordinary high tide ebbed away. The only problem was the rectifier and that just needed a good blast with the garden  hose. Also I cleaned where the wires bolted to the other parts.  It was with a good deal of trepidation that I turned it on again after several days drying out. No problem at all.