The PRR K4 Class

Chuck

I feel one of the best looking steam locomotives ever made :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

I was going to title this post Those Iconic PRR K4's but that would be misleading as the K4s was a subgroup of the K4 Class. Pennsy only had like 425 of them and they pulled some of the greatest trains in the world like the Broadway Limited :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

Here's some great pics of 612 which is really a K4sa because it was fitted with a front end throttle which is located in the box ontop the boiler just behind the smoke stack.

K_4_612_1957.thumb.jpg.3c0e4c92364175b28f2c4b05bb112946.jpg

K_4_612_1957_.thumb.jpg.1ef1631a411e2f03efc8cbccf113a3bd.jpg

K_4_612_1957_0001.jpg.347725d2911302787ec99d33cf0723b3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A friend, Don Sweger (see Facebook page) scratch built a 1/8 scale fully functional PRR K4 model of engine #612.  It is just beautiful and runs great, amazing torque from steam.  The engine is very special to me because my Dad was a fireman on the PRR Panhandle Division during WWII and engine #612 appears Dad's Log Books (April 26,1945, Columbus to Pittsburgh).  I took the log book to show Don when he lived in eastern PA.  Don graciously allowed me to run the engine on his ~20 acre layout.  What fun!  It was a great insight into why Dad loved his PRR time so much.  I'm looking to purchase a G-scale PRR K4 to create a static display to honor Dad and remind our family of his adventures on the rail road.  Engine needs to be in great visual shape but doesn't need to be functional.  No luck in the search so far.  Can anyone help?

• 6 years later...

Hi Chuck: Well I model Pennsy, but would have loved to model the Milwaukee Road, if only there were some Milwaukee prototypes available in live steam. And I would have loved modeling the impressive electrics they used. Here is a photo of my K4 in live steam in gauge one  in full flight. I chose pennsy because I like that husky no nonsense look of their steam engines, and the availability of some steamlocos and information. Easier from France. I include a photo of a Swiss friend's Hiawatha in live steam in 1/32 scale entirely scratch builtI made that photo at an exhibition we ran at in the Mulhouse museum. And lastly another big atlantic an E6 hauling the Detroit Arrow here in Ardèch, France. Happy modeling.

BS6A5906r.jpg

P1090335.JPG

P1080880.JPG