Mini Christmas Lights!

Chuck

MTH has been making O Gauge buildings, locomotives and rolling stock with Christmas lights on them and I think they look fantastic!

So I "borrowed" their idea and started experimenting by adding Christmas lights to a Lionel Large Scale Station kit that I built several years ago.

I'm using lights called Micro-Dots that I bought from Hobby Lobby but I believe fairy lights are the same. 

Downside is these things have Led's on 4" spacing so I cut them up and re-soldered for 2" spacing. The wire they used is magnet wire so it's thin and has some kind of varnish insulation on it. Next I'll buy the Wal*Mart brand as they use green coated wire. Hobby Lobby wire is coated clear so it's silver which means I'll paint it to match the stations trim.

I'm sold and will be adding lights to all my buildings in the next few weeks. Weather around here has been typical dreary midwest grey with drizzle and chilly...good cheap indoor project!

Now I need to find some mini Christmas wreaths to hang on the doors etc.

IMAG0003.thumb.JPG.dcbc3ff01d9591fc5393db07aab0f547.JPG

IMAG0004.thumb.JPG.11de0041a1f7688283cdf4558e7cf231.JPG

• 1 month later...

By the way those light sets which you can often buy at bargain prices are perfect for lighting passenger cars, you have say ten warm white leds on a chain, a battery box and a switch which usually can be removed to a more accessible position and rewired into the circuit. Great for us live steamers and no blinking or power droop for sparkie! And with leds not consuming much the batteries often last very long time, as you dont always need the lights..