Need help with Accucraft Mich-cal #2 loco

RichJohnson

I bought this today at a local shop. Its used and I have a few questions about it hoping some here can help me.

FIrst, the cap on top of the water filler/ throttle manifold, has that weird top with a hole in it with a loose O ring down the hole.  It also has a grove cut in it like a shaft would lock down into it.  In the manual it only shows a regular screw down cap.

second, the steam lubricator resivour has a plain cap on it, where as in the manual it shows a big T handle cap.

Can any body help me sort this out?

Next. with the Johnson Bar in neutral the two cylinders are very stiff to rotate the crank by hand.  I do not know if that is just because they are cold and the oil is old and stiff on them or if there is something wrong that they should spin pretty free.  Hope somebody can tell me how their model reacts to trying to rotate it while in neutral.

KIMG1267.JPG

KIMG1266.JPG

KIMG1265.JPG

Rich, I have the very same loco.  The cap on the boiler fill plug looks like a Goodall Valve, but modified for use with one hand.   As far as rotating the crank in N, that is a good thing as the cylinders are building up compression.  If you move it in either direction it will make full revolutions, but again with resistance.  Hope that helps.

Ok, good to know about the cylinders.  But the cap on the fill maninfold,  It seems like it has a hole through it that should have a needle or something in it.  When you say modified, what was it before?  I just see a hole in the bottom of it with an O ring loose in it. I cant use it like this can I?   Do I need to get a new cap?

On another forum there was a discussion about the 'one handed Goodall valve' and it was determined it was just a waste of money, unless you were handicapped.   If the cap doesn't leak steam leave it and use it as a plug, if it does leak Accucraft most likely has the original plug to fit.  As the loco is designed to run out of gas before it runs out of water it really isn't needed on this loco.  BTW, it is the same thread as the oil tank.  I think you will enjoy the loco.  

I have an IDA that I used a few times.  Always wanted a shay, I built MC#2 in On3 a few years ago from a psc kit. 

Last question, do I need special oil for the steam lubricator or can I just use 3in1?  I did that year ago with my IDA and was told recently that's probably a bad idea.

YES, It is a bad idea, True Steam Oil has Tallow (animal fat) as an additive.  There are several LS oils on the market. I have had less than satisfactory long term storage of Green Velvet as the tallow comes out of solution over time, (and I can provide pics of that) and it was also posted from a supplier that it must be used within 1 year of purchase.  I have since only used Roundhouse Steam Oil with no over time degradation and excellent lubricating properties.   A few $ spent can lead to years of enjoyment, that I can also tell you from experience.   

Rich,   As I mentioned earlier, Green Velvet brand settled out so I don't use it any more,  I am surprised that a true Roundhouse Dealer doesn't carry their oil.  If you have to send to England I believe it is worth the wait and even the extra shipping.   Dealer will sell you what they have rather than what you want.  

Edit:  if you are in a hurry I can send you a little bottle of the Roundhouse oil to use while you are waiting to get the real thing from a UK dealer. LG

The US dealer from the Round house website is The Train Department.  They only carry green velvet and said they cant get the oil from England because of shipping issues with fluids etc etc.  He might be blowing smoke up my stack but I kinda believe him knowing US restrictions.

Where did you get your oil from?

Got mine directly from Roundhouse.  I am sorry to say, I know who you were dealing with, know him personally that is why I don't deal with him.    I have sent a message to Roundhouse direct to see what they say.  If things have changed, unlike he I am mature enough to admit things have changed and I have made a mistake.   Thank You    

Well,  I emailed Roundhouse on Monday morning and I still have not heard back from them.  Im kind of inclined now to just buy the oil that Accucraft sells for the locos...

Also, is it possible to install a whistle on this loco somehow?  Like an adapter on the relive valve or on the cap of the water filler?

Rich, Roundhouse hasn't responded to my Email either, I'm going to reach out to their UK distributors.  My offer of a small bottle of Roundhouse oil still stands,  send me a PM with your address and I'll mail it to you.   Have you seen the explanation of how they designed their oil?  definitely designed specifically for the size of locomotive they make.   LG

EDIT: Rich I just received an Email from a UK distributor, they will ship a 500ml bottle, I am now waiting for the estimated cost.  LG

OK cool.   Have you ever tried the Accucraft brand?  I assume Accucraft just rebrands somebody else....

Still confused about that goodall valve cap on my filter for the boiler.   Is it a quick fill so you don't have to cool down and open the boiler?

I found this on the accucraft website https://www.accucraftestore.com/product-page/ap-21767-goodall-valve-water-bottle-1

Can I stick that nozzle into the valve and fill the boiler back up?

Goodall valve is so you can add water to the boiler. You can fill it that way also, but it would be a lot of pumps to squirt it in. Just plug in the squirt bottle to plug into the valve on the boiler. I fill my steamers thru the top of the boiler, it may be under a dome you pull off. Be sure to use steam oil and lube all linkages/etc with a 3 in one oil or some such.

I have not tried the Accucraft brand steam oil, but I would guess it is blended to their specs and for their loco's just like Roundhouse, but less expensive,  I did get a response from the supplier in the UK,  will be abut $24 for a 500ml bottle shipped.    The goodall valve is for adding water during a run.  As I said earlier, the loco you are talking about is designed to run out of fuel before it runs out of water.      LG

Ok. 

So can I add a whistle to this loco some how?

I fixed the RC system that was in it, It had a spectrum receiver and it bound right to my dx6 I use for my tanks and boats.  I have the Johnson Bar hooked up and working on a switch but now I need to make a bracket for a servo under the frame so I can use a vertical pull rod to move the throttle handle up and down. 

Rich, if you do get the Accucraft oil let us know what you think of it, and since they are pretty close to you shipping should be minimum.   I'm sure a whistle can be installed.  The only reliable guy that I am aware of, Bob in Mich, he posted recently posted that he is giving it up due to arthritis.  I remember Jonathan from Electric and Steam model works is in Ca, bet he can do something like that.    LG

Roundhouse got back to me today and said that their oil is thinner than others and their locos have a smaller hole to support this.  They want me to pay with some strange online service Ive never heard of.  They also said it could get confiscated through customs as a liquid.

I think I will just use accucraft oil then.

So how do I contact the guy in CA that can make whistles?  Im in San Diego anyway.

Rich, The smaller hole is explained on Roundhouse posting about the mix of their oil that I previously directed you to.  Maybe Accucraft has also adopted the same specification for their oil.  I received the same Email you have from them and there is no mention of an additional charge, but yes some postal inspectors will not allow it to be shipped.  None of the UK suppliers I have contacted have experienced a confiscation of property, so It is a rare happening if at all. 

THE GUY i mentioned:  i also included his business name. Is San Diego supposed to mean something??

I just meant that im in CA also for logistics from or to him for service.  I will search the electric and steam model works.

what did you do for couplers on the #2? 

Im thinking of converting the mine cars I have for my Bmann shay over to link and pin with wiseman castings and use links.

This is the latest I have found on Johnathan,  he is in Chino Cal.  

Contact Is this your business? Claim This Profile
Electric Model Works
Phone: (909) 613-9154
Web: Rctrain.com

• Name: Jonathan Bliese
    Job Title: Owner

•  

•     Couplers:  I use the link & pin on the cars that have that and made this little adapter for knuckle couplers, pic not so good but you'll get the idea.  

DSCN0226.JPG

DSCN0227.JPG

Ok, I ordered my oil and that filler bottle for the goodall valve on my boiler from accucraft.  FOr now I will just use their oil.

I got some more work toward my RC system done. 

How far does the throttle turn to open to full?   I assume that its not far and a servo can pull it all the way but that too far will flood out or something right?

Next I need to look into the guy you recommended might have a whistle adaption available.  

Got a hand full of Bachmann side dump cars and looking at converting them to LnP.  Either with Wiseman or Iron Creek shops.  I got a price list of tons of stuff he hasn't put on his website yet and he has lot of LnP types and parts available.