Great Trains Superliner stretch to 85'

rbrown7713

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joe, I thought that I was registered at LargeScaleCentral, but I am having trouble signing in, so they will get back to me.  I especially want to talk to Scott Svatek, is he still around?  That post was in 2011.  I want to find out about the trucks and the windows, nice job, they are beautiful.  I will not put the interior in them, I will not live that long, one reason is that the windows are tinted dark, can't see inside anyway.  I only wish that more long ones were available, but sounds like he got the only five.  OK, my life story, have to stretch them myself.  Boy, Ralph Brown sure use some good glue, hard to separate some parts without breaking the plastic.  The other ones that Rooster made are 1:29, they are nice too.  I have 4 cars including the skyliner, that one will be a bear to stretch, wish I had another for parts.  I will let you know if I get any more info. Bob.

1 hour ago, rbrown7713 said:

Joe, for some reason, I am not getting notified of your posts.  It is checked down below, but your last posts, I did not get notified.  What is wrong?

I'm not sure? I get them automatically. As I'm typing a reply, I see a switch button on the bottom left of this screen that says "notify me of replies"

Maybe try that?

LGB%20Superliner%20Pic%201.jpg

I built a 48 in. by 48 in. cnc router about 2 years ago and then I ran a test and it ran fine, but now, it is giving me fits.  I plan to cut the sides and windows for the Superliner with it, if I can get it running, and I will get back to the outdoor layout soon. Bob.

Update, I got the cnc router fixed, turned out that it was a bad drive, hope it keeps running like it does now.  I am making a vacuum hold down base for some .040 plastic, if I can get to work. I will be making these sides just like Ralph Brown made them.  When I tried just slicing up the sides and stretching them there were too many pieces to do body work on them so by cutting them on my cnc machine, they will be one side without splices, much better.  I will show the setup when I get a little further into the project. This cnc that I built, I built it with servos instead of stepper motors and it is very quiet and smooth, that's why I used servos, don't like the noise of steppers, Bob.

No, the details are so little in depth that vacuum forming would be of little use. Thanks for the idea anyway.  What I am using vacuum for is a hold down fixture for the plastic sheet while I cut the  sides out, if I can get my cnc router to run properly. Bob.

I finished the vacuum hold down fixure and it looks like it is going to work.  I had to do some homework on how these things are made and most of them that are on YouTube are for industrial use and the people were using very high hp. vacs. or 7cfm vac. pumps like they use for refrigeration, but I don't need all that vacuum.  All that I need is to hold the plastic down flat on the top of the fixture while cutting.  I am using for the inside of the fixture, particle board and the top also.  If you shave the top 1/16th inch. from the top, of  the skin, the air flows right through particle board.  I used that, because if I had designed it with holes or channels, the thin .040 plastic might have sunk into the grooves or holes, so this is a flat surface, so no problem there.  The bottom of the top, I have cut holes and channels for the air to flow through to the top and also channeled the bulkheads, as you can see in the pictures to allow air to flow.  Without skinning or providing channels in the particle board, air would not flow.  I put tape around the top of the all sides to seal the plastic next to the rails.  When turning the vac. on, the  gauge indicates that I have 2 lbs. of vacuum per square inch, or 4 inches of Hg. and that translates into 520 lbs.  of total weight holding the sheet of plastic down and that is enough to keep it flat. While I am cutting, I can monitor the vacuum from the vacuum gauge to make sure that I haven't lost vacuum, because when the cutter picks up, it has a tendancy to stick to the plastic and tries to lift, but can't with the vacuum holding it down.  As an additional precaution to keep the plastic from moving while cutting, the plastic fits down tight into the fixture, no slippage.  I glued a 2 x 4 on top of the plastic just to demonstrate the strength of the hold down pressure and was able to pick up the whole fixture with no movement of the plastic, so it is a success. Here are some pics. Bob.

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

Wow! What a setup!! Going to be very interesting watching these car builds! 

That looks like the same vacuum I have...does it make more noise than do anything else?? I bought mine a few years back a day or so after black friday for $40. After I started using it I knew why. 

You make a good point about the noise.  Here I spend more time and money to put together a cnc router built with servos instead of steppers so that it would be quiet, and then I have to turn on the noisy shop vac.  Oh well, I guess that I could wear ear muffs. Bob.

Lol...I never thought about that! I just seen that shop vac and wondered if it was the same noisy not really good for much model that I have.

That really is amazing how you stripped the particle board so air can move thru it!

Like Spock would say..."Fascinating"

Try the Sears 5 gallon shop vacs. The ones with the round cartridge filter, no bags. I own three of them. I would not buy anything else.

One yanked a sheet off of a table in a home I was cleaning after doing work inside. The dishes on the table stayed in place. It took several minutes to get the sheet out of the vac. That sold me on only buying them from then on. They have suction better than any other I had tried for a reasonable price.