Great Trains Superliner stretch to 85'

rbrown7713

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am almost there. Just a few more things to do before making the mold.  I will be making only two molds, I call them the master molds and then for the other cars with different window configurations, I will fill the holes with plugs, Bob.

IMG_1360.JPG

Hi Bob, as the period I model stops with the end of steam in 1957 on the PRR, I didn't follow this thread which is fascinating. Congratulations for finding such sometimes complex, yet efficient solutions to the various problems encountered during the build.Although they are beyond my period, I rode on these a few times on US trips and am familiar withthese cars. On the last trip on  the Southwest Cheif, I notoiced at various station stops that there were quite a variety of these cars and makers who built them over time. (things like some had trucks closely patterned after the German Minden Deutz trucks and some had more American looking trucks. I am not sure but I think that I even saw variety in the siding used by various manufacturers. On one of my French models which I hope to build one day, I had the same problem locating good erecting drawings, and these cars had just been retired shortly before.So I guess the problems are the same all over. Keep up the great work and detailed progress reports!

Thank you very much, I appreciate the attention of my build.  I am modeling the phase II made by Bombardier which has GSI trucks and I was lucky enough to run across a French man that modeled one of the Superliners in O scale and he was nice enough to scale up the GSI trucks to 1:32.  His "Guy", as he calls him produced his trucks and also made mine in 1:32 by 3d printing, so that problem was solved and then I made a mold of the trucks for subsequent cars.  I have seen your work and it is amazing in detail.  My work is sort of a balance as to how much time I have to spend on them, so my work does not have as much detail, but I try to represent my work that is just OK.  I am 73 and have much to do to achieve my goals, so it is a balance.  I am almost ready to make some molds for the Superliner cars and worked from the Great trains cars and tried to make them just a little bit better in detail.  I thought that I would take two of them and stretch them out, but that didn't work, just too many seams, so I cut them out new with my cnc router and has worked out well, so again thanks and I will keep posting the progress, Bob.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:18 AM, rbrown7713 said:

Hey Sean, is your keyboard broken?

Nope ... sometimes a face is all you need to show your watching...:Wink_Emoji_large(24x24):

Also hard to type left handed.. right rotator cuff surgery recovery..

20 hours ago, rbrown7713 said:

I am trying to picture it in shiny silver. Bob.

IMG_1362.JPG

How about you just hurry up and paint it?!? :P

Also Amtrak doesn't use Silver, it uses Platinum Mist. 

No seriously that's what they call it lol.

19 hours ago, rbrown7713 said:

In reality, I believe the Superliners are stainless, no paint.  I have been experimenting with some chrome paint and looks well.  These are just patterns for a mold and here it is ready to make a mold. Bob.

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

Oh I know, I was just pulling your leg is all. But it may be a good match too on the other hand... 

Here is the last stage before pouring the urethane molds.  Every irregularity and crack has to be filled with clay so that no urethane leaks through to the inside of the pattern, takes  a long time, but has to be done. Bob.

IMG_1372.JPG

Well, 3 1/2 months later, I am pouring my molds today.  It took longer than I thought, but, oh, well, it's done.  The only thing left is designing the frame, haven't decided how to do that yet, but I'm working on it. Bob.

IMG_1373.JPG

Thanks Joe, I just hope they come out looking good and shiny.  I forgot, the 3 1/2  months also included making the Amfleet car molds also, so I guess it was worth it.  I always feel that my work is too slow, but I guess that comes with the fact that I am so old.  I am making the frames just like Ralph Brown made them, with a few exceptions, why reinvent the wheel.  Bob.

Waiting for more urethane because there was a defect in one of my pours.  Evedently, when pouring one of the molds, improper mixing produced a soft spot on an area where the corrugations were and didn't want to make a repair every time that I made a car.  All procedures have to be followed exactly, and I didn't do that.  When pouring urethane to avert this type of mistake, when mixing in a container, mix as per directions and then the entire contents should be poured into  another container and then mixed again.  This prevents unmixed urethane to remain.  I have more urethane coming and will correct that little mistake.  I also lied. I said that this was the last cars that I was to make molds for, and I forgot the Superliner lounge car, in which I am preparing to stretch out.  This will be a job, as the whole roof will be poured with clear urethane or resin and then the windows will be masked.  I am in new territory here so, I will have to experiment with methods.  Bob.

33028A.jpg